Broke in a pair of newbys yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AJGUNNER

Hunter
I know you guys were probably thinking this was going to be about some new shooting irons, but in this case it was actually a couple of young ladies. :shock:

My regular shooting buddy had a full weekend of "house chores" to get done, so even though this was the first weekend in quite some time that we have had dry weather, he could not get escape the wife's list for powder burning. My son was home from school and was itching to do some trigger pulling and asked about breaking in his girl friend. I called another shooting buddy and when I told him that my sons girl friend was coming along he asked if he could bring his daughter along. Of course she has been around firearms but never done much shooting. Did I mention that I love teaching and breaking in newbies. :D

I let my son take over the initial safety chat and interjected when I felt it was necessary. Both girls are 21 and fully capable of moving right into anything we brought along, but we did it right and started small. They both shot the Winchester model 67 which got them familiar with open sights and a bolt action. Then we moved them up to a scoped 10-22. Pretty tough to miss anything with this and makes for a real confidence booster.

Both did great so we stepped them up to a Bearcat, then on to a single six while giving a lesson on single action revolvers.

From there they moved into 38 and double action starting with "powder puff" loads out of a 6" security six before trying some hotter loads. Then they did the same with a 2" SP101 as we explained the difference in felt recoil moving to a shorter barrel. Then each tried an air-weight J-frame, and both agreed that this one was not much fun and difficult to hit targets with.

Next up they each tried a 5.5" Redhawk in 357 with both stout 38's then moved to stout 357 loads. They both handled this with no problems as the lesson in both weight and barrel length was easily learned.

Next up was the 44 mag and both handled the 7.5" Redhawk with light loads and stout loads just fine---actually much better than I had figured. Then they each did the same light loads followed by stout loads with the 2.75" Redhawk. Both said the light loads were fine, but neither wanted to shoot the stout loads again in the short barrel. I forgot to bring along some Buffalo Bore loads, so we all escaped that punishment. :lol:

Then they each did the same with a Glock 26, running a full 10 round mag of light loads, followed by a full mag of stout loads. Both did fine with the bottom feeder but neither really cared much for the Glock. Both agreed they really liked the long barreled Redhawks best in either 357 or 44 mag. I guess there is just something about that raw power that not only gets the dads smiling but also both of these young ladies.

I had a few boxes of 223 factory ball ammo, so next up was the scoped mini 14. Both being petite girls, they had trouble with holding the rifle up and keeping the cross hairs on target. So we fashioned them up a bench with some empty rifle cases as rests. They really liked this, and now both had no problem hitting anything and everything we called out as targets. We were using some steel plates, some paper targets, but the most fun was a bunch of small pumpkins we had stopped and picked up from a muddy field.

Of course we had plenty of time for the dads and my son to burn plenty of powder and show off a little bit. My buddies daughter preferred the 10-22 off a rest, while the girl friend really took to the model 67, shooting it off hand and becoming quite proficient with it.

When we started around noon it was beautifully clear and sunny out, hanging in the low 30's. We had brought along a propane heater but never needed it because we all kept busy shooting. It might have made 40 by around 3pm but as soon as we had shadows creeping in, the temp started dropping rapidly. When we finished cleaning up and packing, everyone agreed that we had timed the day perfectly and were ready to get the heaters going in the trucks.

All in all, a perfect day of learning and having fun. I know neither of these girls will turn down another shooting trip. As long as I can get my son to share some time on the loading bench, I will be happy to keep them in ammo. :)

AJGUNNER

Hunter
Gee wiz---I don't know why but I never remember to give you a call Wayno. We need to plan for the next decent weather weekend for you to make a run down here. Our shooting grounds are 5 minutes from the Marquam Inn. As we were driving in we talked about how we should have loaded a rifle just in case. Of course as soon as we got out of the timber to our open pasture shooting area, old Wiley coyote made a brief showing. Had we been on top of our game, at the very least we would have scared the day lights out of him. :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
KUDOS!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you took the time to slowly work them up in calibers. One of the biggest mistakes we see with the women we've taught. Someone else started them off with a bigger caliber than they should have.

Latest posts