Bring Back The Ruger No. 3 !!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
about 25 years ago I had a .22 hornet and a .223, even with really good optics, neither one shot, sold both of them and the new owners couldnt get them to shoot decent eithere, wish Istill had them though, beautiful carbine with the dovetail stock. :(

RJ556

Buckeye
UH......, 6 pounds? I recently had a #3 in 30-40 Krag. It was factory stock and weighed 7 pounds, 2 ounces on my postal scale, without scope and rings. A lot of the weight was in the barrel. A 44 mag may weigh 6 pounds, which I doubt, but most calibers in a #3 will not go that light. The #1A in 30-40 Krag that I just bought weighs 6 pounds, 10 ounces. After I get a scope on it, it'll weigh 7 pounds 6 ounces. The #1 will look better and be LIGHTER to carry. :wink:

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Do you guys know how Ruger chose the calibers for the #3? I'm suprised they didn't offer it in the more commonplace (ie: easier to find ammo) medium power rounds such as .243, .270, or 30-30

thanks!!!

picketpin

Buckeye
I don't believe that there are any FACTORY #1s or #3s.

#3 actions are hard to find and you can usually buy a builder/used #1 cheaper than a #3.

I did recently trade for a #3 action and then bought another used #3 to use for a semi custom and a full custom #2. The first will have a straight gripped #1 stock and a shortened factory #1 forearm. The other is my once in a life time custom and I needed the #3 action to use so I can alter the lever to match an old Winchester Highwall target rifle.

There just aren't enough #3s out there that a guy runs across JUSt an action very often.

the best

Ross

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
How confusing! I heard the "levers" were available through Brownells, Numrich, etc., and that the #1 lever was interchangable with the #3 via a competent gunsmith.

picketpin

Buckeye
David: I'm sure a COMPETENT smith could do it.

The #1 locks via the latch in the bottom of the lever into a slot in the bottom of the trigger gaurd bow.

The #3 locks via at the front of the lver in a detent in the reciever itself as the #3 levr IS the the trigger gaurd bow.

You can buy levers, that's the least of the problems. For a #3 lever to work on a #1 you would have to essentually duplicate a #1 lever so it locks. To put a #1 lever on a #3 would require installing/building a trigger gaurd bow or completely changing where the lever locks complete with the milling etc. Either would cost you more than a #3 in my estimation.

A #3 is NOT a #1 with a different lever and cheaper wood. There is just enough difference to make conversion hard. Cheapest way is still to buy a used #3 and go from there.

Just for fun I just looked at the Ruger catalogs. They offered #1s as barrel actions from the start, 1967 well into the 80s. I can not find a single catalog offering a barreld #3 action from the factory.

Ross

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
I have a co-worker that has a No. 3 action -- about every six months I call him and ask if he is ready to sell it to me.....going on five years or so.....

The sad thing is I don't think he will ever actually do anything with it.

Dave

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Do you guys know how Ruger chose the calibers for the #3? I'm suprised they didn't offer it in the more commonplace (ie: easier to find ammo) medium power rounds such as .243, .270, or 30-30

thanks!!!

The reason that Ruger didn't offer the No. 3 in more commonplace calibers (in my opinion) is simply so they wouldn't be competing with themselves. If they offered No. 1's and No.3's in the same calibers they would competing against themselves for sales. They did offer No. 1's as well as No. 3's in 45.70, but the other calibers the No. 3 was available in weren't chambered in the No. 1 (at least not whilst the No. 3 was still available) like .22 Hornet.

Dave

lctrcjim

Bearcat
four70nitro, your reasoning makes perfect sense - if I wasn't such a knucklehead, I might have thought of it myself - thanks!!!

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
"I have a co-worker that has a No. 3 action -- about every six months I call him and ask if he is ready to sell it to me.....going on five years or so..... "

I think another poster on here knows the same guy!