Brass or Steel Grip Frame??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MFD

Bearcat
Hello,
Have a NM Blackhawk Convetible 45LC/45ACP and looking for replacement grip frame. Can't seem to find a source on these grip frames?? Know that some years ago you could buy from various sources but no longer offered by Brownells or others. Anyone know where you might be able to buy either a brass or steel grip frame? Would prefer steel for plan on sending to Doug Turnbull for his color case hardening treatment. If steel not available woud go with the brass and then do the rest by Turnbull. Any input appreciated.

martin

G2

Hunter
Steel you can order from Ruger, Midway, Brownells, ect ~ $100- 150 and you can go Super Blackhawk size, Or stay with the size you currently have.

Here is a GREAT education on Grip Frames

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Brass, Good Luck, there out there ~$150-300 most run in the 200's. Your post sounds like it's not your first choice, probably a good thing, hard to find now days and spendy.

You could also put a WTB and find yourself a take-off of some sort but you will need to know exactly what you want.

Hope this helped.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, you'll have to start surfing the auction sites, forums, etc to find a gripframe. Posting a WTB ad here might get you what you want,,,!

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
If you are looking to add the most weight to the gun go with Brass. Brass is also easier to work with when fitting the grip frame, and besides that it is just plain pretty.

Jeff

MFD

Bearcat
Just now catching back up with this project and I did order and rec'd steel one from Brownell's and called Turnbull to arrange to have revolver sent to them for CCH work and find that they do not do the grip frames due to possible warpage. Steel is out but have message regarding brass one and will wait and see how that turns out. I think that the color case hardening work and a brass frame w/ stag grips would make for one nice piece. Never hurts to dream a bit.

there, they have answered the question I was going to say or tell you, I would NOT have any grip frame 'color cased' let alone not for the reasons they gave you but from a "use" standpoint...it would not hold up well....if you want "looks" then either way, steel ( blued) or brass is the way to go.....

flatgate

Hawkeye
I sure like the "Class of Brass".....

112875649.jpg

52401191.jpg

And, yes, of course, I'm plagiarizing LeeS's wonderful display's title!

flatgate

PS; These are shooters and not safe queens. :D

w5lx

Single-Sixer
flatgate":1m895ppw said:
I sure like the "Class of Brass".....

Those guns are beautiful. Does the brass require periodic cleaning/polishing or other type of maintenance?

flatgate

Hawkeye
FYI, three of the four brass grip frames pictured above are "non-Factory" aftermarket items. The XR3-RED's came from QPR/Milt Morrison (Brownell's sold them, as well.). The New Model .45's grip frame came from a long gone company in California (mid/late 1980's era) named Caravelle. The 3 Screw .45's grip frame is genuine Ruger.

I don't believe any brass grip frames are being produced at this time except, maybe, a company in the Southeastern U.S. that was making "bird's head" examples.

flatgate

PS I admit I do have a couple in my secret stash down in my Dungeon....
BrassGripFramesLR.jpg