Brass in Forehead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
I forgot to mention in my post about finally getting some range time with my 95 that at least 3 or 4 spent casings nailed me SMACK dab in the middle of the forehead! Now I KNOW that that is not what it SUPPOSED to happen. Something to do with the extractor? Recoil Spring? Who knows. In any case, below are two pics from the session (Unrelated to the issue).
Image1-3.jpg

Dsc058122.jpg

yep, something ain't quite right. I don't know what it is but I'm sure someone else will know. I've never had that happen on a P95 but one of my 1911's would do it every so often and was not unusual for a spent case to hit me on top of the head too.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I bough my P85 off my cousin because it did the same thing to him (plus there are really only two brands of guns he keeps, Smiths and Remingtons. He buys other stuff and has yet to own one longer than two weeks before trading, but that is a different story).

It hasnt been a problem since I got it. I might catch one once every few hundred rounds but I would chalk that up to normal variation, and I usually wear a baseball hat when i shoot anyway.

One thing, I am about a foot taller than my cousin so it could be that my longer arms put the gun far enough out that it doesnt eject shells into my head.

In your case I would try the usual tricks, a few different batches of ammo, different stance, have a friend try it before doing anything else. Of course this could be a perfect opportunity if you were looking for an excuse to trade the 95 in for something else.

mpbrown18

Bearcat
I once had the casing from my P89 pop up and land smack dab inside my "protective eyewear." Left two burn marks right above my left eye, 3 weeks before my wedding. The wife was going bananas, I just put some Aloe on it and the burns healed in less than a week, no scar what so ever.

That's the only time that happened to me, and I've put at least 1000 rounds through the 89.

bearing01

Bearcat
Could also be the ammunition's powder load. Try different ammo to see if they eject differently. I find that light powder loads in my SR9 will eject the case almost straight up or even up & forward / down range. The heavier powerful loads will eject up and back over my head to never be found.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Sure they didn't bounce off the side board? I have had several hit me in the forehead shooting on indoor ranges. Never shooting outdoors.
Mine flings the brass quite a good ways too.

tk

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
It may well be a bounce off the side board of your shooting lane as tkarter said, but you need to wrap your thumb on your "strong hand", that will be an issue with recoil control and a possible cause. The strong hand hold should always be held like you are shooting one handed and use the other hand to wrap around and push back somewhat for support. If that doesn't solve it you may want to look at the angle of your ejector. JMHO

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"Sure they didn't bounce off the side board?"

Hmmmm. You know, I guess that could be possible. I'll look for that next time.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Some guns just do that, I don't know exactly why either, but... been there! :)
(Mine was from a Charles Daly 1911.)

headwound640x512.jpg

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
patcannon":2vu9owmo said:
Some guns just do that, I don't know exactly why either, but... been there! :)
(Mine was from a Charles Daly 1911.)

headwound640x512.jpg
Well, I'd rather that than some of the scope "kissess" I've gotten over the years.

Mike J

Hunter
"Well I'd rather that than some of the scope kisses I've seen over the years"
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic. I used to know a man that got a black eye every time he shot a deer. He would just get a little too wound up.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
my dads M1 Carbine will hit me in the head about every 3rd shot.... Love the gun but its annoying hehe..

tkarter

Single-Sixer
That's why one wears shooting glasses.

Try the old flintlocks some time see where it burns ya. :D

tk

Latest posts