Brass Grip Frames good or bad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I'd still enjoy a "fake" brass grip frame; especially on a New Model. YMMV

wproct

Single-Sixer
This thread is a couple months old and I'm guessing the revolver being discussed has probably been sold by now? Anyway, while I don't think the brass colored grip frame and parts adds any value, I don't think it really detracts much from the value either. If you are still trying to sell it, I would leave it as it is. Some shooters will actually like the looks of it. Let the next owner make the decision.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
No , I didn't sell it.
To tell the truth I don't know what I want to do with it.
I would not have bought it in the first place , except for the fact that it was included in the package I bought.
I am not a big fan of brass. Never have been.
If it had the original grip frame , I would be fine with it.

G2

Hunter
From the pictures the parts appear to be gold plated, very shinny & bright. I agree some will appreciate all the accents, most won't.
If you want the parts to return it to original I most likely can get you there. We can discuss PM.
The 30C Blackhawk really needs to be looked at as a "HOT 32", they are fun to shoot and the recoil is minimal.

I personally do like Brass Grip Frames, However after I complete fittment, finish to a near perfect high polish, I then let time do it's thing. Brass dies down, and the patina over time gets better & better, "Bronze" IMO, my preferences,

This NM 30 carbine was left to me, bone stock, I didn't care for the alloy grip frame, too small for a 7.5" barrel and the 30C is a HEAVY gun.
NM Brass Super Dragoon GF, Hunter Grips, & Super Hammer that I acquired that was slightly messed up, so I cleaned up the "drop" w/ a slight re-shape. I think the size of the Grip Frame matches up overall better than the original, I also prefer the lower & wide Super Hammer, again my preferences.

I wanted to keep the modifications "Ruger", so that 50+ years from now, when I'm long gone, some young new Ruger enthusiast will log onto the Ruger Forum and ask; Was this a gun built by Ruger?🤔😉
nahhh just an o'l crazy geezer.

51954616289_6fe70371b8_k.jpg

51954616319_7a4346c47e_c.jpg

51953326587_c101ef3b2d_c.jpg

Last edited:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Now that you mention it , it does look more like gold than brass.
I had to get it out and look at it again after you wrote that.
Now I really don't like it. Thanks a lot.
I appreciate the offer to help me make it original , but I don't want to put any money into it.
I will probably just end up selling it or trading it off.

Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
It sounds like that will be the best answer for you. However, I'm still telling you that the right person will think it is nice.

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
Looks Cool! I added/fit a Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame to my NM Blackhawk and it fits my hand. I couldn't find a Brassie anywhere that I could afford! fwiw

skeen

Bearcat
I like the 2 tone look of the brass grip frames. But, to be fair, I like 'em blued and stainless too. 🤓

G2

Hunter
Recently finished this Hunter/Super on to a 50th anniversary flattop.
Never really cared fo the small (to me) XR3 grip frame.
Went with a Ronnie Wells Hunter/Super Brass GF, added a Super Hammer too.
Pictured here with a 1956 shooter (top) 2006 NM. (bottom)

The Brass is shinny & bright, give it ~10 years and it will look like the top one. I personally like to fit em, finish em like new and then let em age. To each his own preference.

52162984363_05ea6e92b8_c.jpg

Last edited:
G2,
All your brass and blue revolvers look great; but I have a question on the 30 C. Is that a Ruger made "NM Brass Super Dragoon GF", or is it aftermarket? Not questioning your veracity; but I was totally unaware of Ruger making that frame in brass for new models.
Thank you,
KRuger