Brass Grip Frames good or bad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I purchased some guns from an estate and a Ruger new Model Blackhawk in 30 carbine was one of them.
It has a brass grip frame and a couple other brass parts on it.
So my question is , does a brass grip frame enhance the value or diminish it ?
Should this gun have been left blued as it was originally ?
Do people change the grip frame just for the looks or to enhance the value ?

Personally I would prefer it to be all original and blue.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_52f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_52f.jpeg
    901.6 KB · Views: 266
  • fullsizeoutput_525.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_525.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Nice gun, and being it is all aftermarket, customized, it is what it is, as we say "a sum of the total of the parts" custom values are ONLY to the owner, person who ordered it and those who like it...brass can be a bit of a challenge over time, with tarnish and being soft , and if the gun is "used" much, will mark, scratch nick etc., quite easily
BUT that being said, it is still a NICE looking gun, and if the price was "right" use it, just do not ride it hard and put it away wet.............;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice gun.
It doesn't appear that your gun is a "factory brassie" so as noted by Dan,, "the sum of the parts."
As to value,, it depends. Some folks really like them with brass, & others "as original." Most likely, you could replace the parts with correct factory parts,, and the gun would have a fair value. then the brass parts could be offered to someone who wanted to dress their own gun in them.
Why do people change things? Because each person has different tastes. Some like them, some don't. Same with most anything.

hey,,,, we used to call it "pimping your ride":oops:

as contender said and I agree, bet there is someone out there that would swap out the parts, just to get YOUR brass parts....never know....we've done it before:cool:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Factory Brass are rare , and $$$ .

Other than that , do you Like Brass ? Quite a few people do , and there is historical presidence for mixed blue and brass SA revolvers .

Not a Ruger , but I have an SAA clone with brass grip frame . At first it looked a little glaring to me , but never enough to do anything about it . I've let the brass naturally darken , and its grown enough on me , that it just seems normal to me , and I don't think about it one way or another .

One thing in the back of my mind , but haven't done yet , is to polish bright the alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing on a Blackhawk , for a two tone look .

stanley_white

Bearcat
I added one of Ronnie Wells' Bradshaw Bisley grip frames to my Blackhawk.

For me, it does several things.

First, it makes the gun heavier and able to soak up recoil a bit more comfortably.

Second, this Bisley interpretation puts the trigger guard farther away from the knuckle which makes shooting stout loads more comfortable.

Third, it looks cool.

From a factory point of view, I submit the factory brass frame is heavier than the same thing in aluminum, which may or may not be of value depending on how you intend to use the gun.

-Stan

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I am sure this gun did not come from the factory like this.
I read where maybe some 30 carbines were made with brass grip frames , but there is no record of one leaving the factory.
I also doubt it would be worth getting a factory letter for it.

This came in a package deal or I probably would not have bought it.
I will probably sell it , but I will to shoot it first.

Thanks for all the answers.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Didn't Ruger factory brass grip frame have the Dragoon trigger guard? I have two one is a multi-fit with with provisions for the three screw trigger and the new model trigger. The other is factory Ruger brass. Is it possible the small parts are just gold plated? A magnet will tell if its gold plated steel or brass.
$280.71.jpg

$325.00.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I knew it wasn't a factory brass grip frame by the shape of the trigger guard. Next, it was also obvious it's a New Model,, and only the Old Model had factory brass grip frames.
That, and as mentioned above,, no KNOWN examples of factory shipped brassie .30 carbines exist. (Yet.) There was one promo picture of one,, but it wasn't shipped that way.

harley08

Blackhawk
Nice gun, and being it is all aftermarket, customized, it is what it is, as we say "a sum of the total of the parts" custom values are ONLY to the owner, person who ordered it and those who like it...brass can be a bit of a challenge over time, with tarnish and being soft , and if the gun is "used" much, will mark, scratch nick etc., quite easily
BUT that being said, it is still a NICE looking gun, and if the price was "right" use it, just do not ride it hard and put it away wet.............;)
It looks good - shoot it and enjoy it!