Brass gets pinched in the slide of my mini 14 now and then.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I have a spent casing get stuck now and then when the slide closes. It gets stuck tight too. I need a mallet to move the slide back.

Ok, just to clarify: The fired case is being extracted but not ejected and then being forced back into the chamber? Or is the case being pushed crosswise in front of the bolt and wedging?
I'm far more educated on the operation of the AR platform than the mini and there is a considerable difference.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Its getting stuck out side of the chamber. It gets stuck towards the front. Almost like a stove pipe. I took a screens shot from a video i found.

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Details help, that part holding the case is called the bolt. 5 posts into this and we are now getting some infor to help. It would also be helpful to know the type of ammo and bullet when this happens. Does it do it with any other ammo? Has it been working correctly before? Is it a new gun or used?

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
New rifle. im running my own loads. 55 grain Magtech boat tail bullet with 24.5 grains of varget. It's happened twice so far. When it does eject . It throws the casings pretty far.

hittman

Staff member
Some rifles in 223/5.56 don't like re-loads.
I'd change ammo first, magazines second. Then proceed As needed.

Now this is easy to test this rifle. Go buy a box of 2 of factory ammo. See if the jam happens again. If not it's he handloads and we can help with that. If factory ammo jams up, let us know.

Your on the right track to get some good testing done. I failed to mention, Magizines. Doubt your problem has to do with them but you never know. Get some, mark them somehow. Rare but sometimes a mag can be bad. I mark all of my mags for all guns with dots or numbers on them. Just incase I have a jam or fail to feed. If it's not marked I have ended up mixing them back with the others before being able to take them apart or investigate it at home. So, with marks on them it helps.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Yes if it happens again. Im going to take note what mag is in the gun. I did get 2 10 rd Pro-mags. Before this started. I didn't order any factory ammo yet. Trying to pay off my one CC before any interest is charged. Wednesday the weather looks good. So i plan on taking it out then.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Yes i have read that. I have other promags. No issues. So i bought 2 10 round ones. If it turns out to be one of them or both. I'll set them aside. If i get a RAR in 556 down the road i'll them then. I have 2 promags for my RAR 7.62X39. So far they have been fine.

kean57

Single-Sixer
Yes i have read that. I have other promags. No issues. So i bought 2 10 round ones. If it turns out to be one of them or both. I'll set them aside. If i get a RAR in 556 down the road i'll them then. I have 2 promags for my RAR 7.62X39. So far they have been fine.
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but as someone that has owned and shot a lot of different Ruger rifles and pistols over the years, I have found them to never be 100% reliable with anything other than Ruger factory magazines. This applies across the board. I have bought aftermarket magazines from very reputable makers that would work perfectly in any other brand of rifle or pistol, but that same brand will cause feeding or ejection issues in a Ruger. Go with Ruger factory mags ONLY before you make any decisions about what is causing your problem.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Next outing im going to shoot 50 rounds with the Ruger mags 1st. Then if no problems. I'll run with the promags. And see if it happens.

hittman

Staff member
I did everything wrong 1st time I took my brand new AR556 to the range. I didn't clean it, didn't lube it, took re-loaded ammo and a couple of old Colt mags 'cause I didn't like the plastic mags supplied by the manufacturer. What a horrible experience. Thought the gun was junk.

The good folks here steered me in the right direction. I cleaned it, ran it wet, used the factory mags and NEW ammo. What a joy to shoot TROUBLE FREE. Lesson learned.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
There was a young man at the gun club. He had a new Glock 19. It was his 1st gun. It wasnt feeding ammo after a few mags. He asked me to look at it. I asked him if he cleaned it. No he said it's new. I explained why a new gun needs to be cleaned. I cleaned it on the spot with some q-tips and rem-oil. It was running again then. I told him when he gets home. Read the manual and clean/lube it good.