Brand New LCP / Can't insert full magazine into gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOT

Bearcat
I bought an LCP today (11/09/09). I brought it home, took it out of the box, loaded 6 rounds of Speer, Gold Dot, Personal Protection Ammo. into the magazine and tried to insert the magazine into the gun.

The magazine made it past the magazine release post, but would NOT fully insert into the gun. It is held out by approx. 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch. It feels like the top round in the magazine is contacting the bottom of the slide, as when I press up on the magazine, it pushes the slide up.

When I remove one round (leaving 5 in the magazine) and re-insert the magazine, the magazine inserts fully, as with 4, 3, 2, and 1 round in the magazine, although there does seem to be a lot of play in the magazine.

I've read every "problem report" I can find on line, and in forums. I have read nothing about this issue. I suspect that the spring in the magazine is not allowing the rounds to seat completely and or properly in the magazine with 6 rounds inserted. It's not the Fiocchi ammo problem that I've seen on youtube, and a few forums. It is extremely difficult to insert the 6th round into the magazine. Logic would tell me that the issue is in the spring, and specifically there's something about the magazine being full that is causing the problem, why else would it function when the magazine has only 5 rounds, etc., in it?

When I push straight down on the Lead (I'm not sure I've got the term correct there) in the magazine, when it's empty, the front edge seems to want to stick to the inside of the magazine housing. I tried lightly oiling the spring, with no change in performance, and I can see oil on the edges of the lead.

Anyone heard of this?

Extremely frustrating... :?:

A

Anonymous

Hey, you should go set up an account at Elsie Pea (LCP) forum. that is the place to get your questions answered. The whole forum in dedicated to this little machine.

In my own experience, I depress the mag release and press mag all the way in before releasing mag release button (you can slam them in, but I would save that for emergencies to avoid unnecessary wear). When the mag is inserted, the top round will hit the bottom of the slide, and you will feel some resistance, especially with a new mag. IF it really seems like something isn't right, call Ruger customer service. They have always taken the time to answer all my questions and concerns.

good luck

SHOOT

Bearcat
Thanks. I'll go to the LCP forum.

I didn't even notice until just now that this is a rimfire group.

Thanks again.

graygun

Hunter
Hope you get it resolved.

This,in some way,reminds me of a mag-loading problem I have with my Bersa Thunder .380. I've only used WWB ammo. Sometimes the follower will get stuck in the mag..usually on the 3rd round. The angle between each round and the follower(ramp)seems critical while loading.

I don't know if the blunt-nosed wwb stuff has something to do with it.