Box question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wrounsifer

Bearcat
can someone tell me when they stopped making the two piece 45 boxes? Thanks I found a new model 45 conv 4 5/8 and I think it is in an old model 45 71/2 inch box. and I did not get enough time to look at box.

basically when the 'new models' came out in 1973 they went to the one piece, fold up red/white boxes...BUT there were old models shiiped in these ( I know,my friend has a Super, old model in the foldup box and it has an old model; label ( sticker) on the end............back then we had seen sopme shops swap around boxes, and used what they had, so you could find a new model , in a older, two piece box...I'd bet there are other over laps as well.......

flatgate

Hawkeye
Practically across the board the early New Models were packaged and shipped in the last of the Old Model boxes........

Drum Roll while we wait for WMG to post some fantastic images of some of his really neat early New Models........ :D

flatgate

wrounsifer

Bearcat
the box was a two piece and I think for a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It a little scraped up on the yellow top but all corners were very good and looked like it had paperwork and brown paper too. any values?

contender

Ruger Guru
If it is an OM box,, it definately has value. Especially if it has another label stuck over the original printed area stating it's a NM. Details & pics help a bunch.
Bacically,, the OM boxes were 2 piece, black, yellow, type. When the NM's came out,, to avoid waste,, NM labels were added to OM boxes & NM guns were shipped out. When the supply of OM boxes were exausted,, they all became the red, hindged lid type used for NM's for several years.
So,, go back,, check it out,, and if the box is 2 piece,, and does NOT have a NM label,, it has value as an OM box. If it does have a stick on label signifying it's a NM,, and it's a 2 piece box,, then again,, it has value. After that,, condition and markings come into play. Is it for a 7-1/2 like you think,, or is it for a 4-5/8,, or something else all together? Next,, inside,, does it have the brown wax paper, warranty card, & which model instruction manuel? ALL of these things contribute to value. It can be as low as $50 for it to as much as $150-$175 or so,, depending. The devil is in the details.