Box question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was answering a Ruger box question and that got me thinking (OH NO, watch out :shock: ).

Has there been a comprehensive synopsis done on the dates that certain boxes were used by Ruger? If so, where might that info be? RCA?, RENE?

I know (I think) that for the Six series boxes it went:

White one piece folding top with gun cutout inside
Red/White one piece folding box
Red/Black one piece folding box
Yellow(Light Orange)/Black one piece folding box

What I don't know is what period (years) each were used.

Although I am interested in the Six series guns, having a "history" of all the different boxes Ruger used and when they used them would be interesting (at least to me and maybe a few others).

Thoughts/comments?

Ron, that is a good question as to the Security Sixes, Speed Six as well as the early P series guns ( models)
and unless you have the shipping dates and have the serial numbers and scan through the RENE, it is NOT cut and dry....all I know is the "basic" old model, two piece boxes up to `1973, then the use of only two sizes of the red/white one piece fold up boxes till the early 1980s when the Mark II came out and they went to the one piece yellow/black end fold up boxes, till the early 90s ( late 80s in the case of the P series) and they started using one piece molded plastic cases.....and on and on it goes, now we are back to cheaply made one piece fold up cardboard boxes...………????? go figure 8) :wink:
Chad did a nice job of covering many of the boxes in his "Encyclopedia of the Ruger Rimfire Pistols"" 1990/1991,BUT again. nothing "separate AND complete" hell how many different cases and boxes did the original old model Super Blackhawk come???? fires, floods and pricing of packaging played a roll in all of this...…. :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
There are a few DA collectors that can probably collaborate on some dates....some of it is kind of a gray area for the SIX series.
Serial numbers can be used for general dates...but ship dates are best to determine which type for when.
Chet15