Bowen Bearcat .22 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

461":2ligyran said:
I had my daughters Bearcat rechambered to .22Mag and while it was a rough project, I'm thrilled with the final product.

I started with a very well know smith whose name I will never utter in public again and then had Alan Harton fix and finish the job. Alan made it special and I have a ball with it.

Is there a reason to rechamber the Bearcat? Not really, but the fireball coming out of the barrel is a lot of fun, as is the loudcrack when you touch it off.
When it was re chambered was anything done to the barrel since the WRM bullet is slightly larger dia. than the .22 LR?

Erich

Single-Sixer
Mike, mine wasn't: Ruger brought back the Bearcat with both .22 Mag and .22 LR cylinders in '93, and they haven't changed the barrel since even tho they recalled all the .22 Mag cylinders. A search on this board will tell you lots about the whole fiasco. :)

Erich":3lqx9yer said:
Mike, mine wasn't: Ruger brought back the Bearcat with both .22 Mag and .22 LR cylinders in '93, and they haven't changed the barrel since even tho they recalled all the .22 Mag cylinders. A search on this board will tell you lots about the whole fiasco. :)
I knew they had made a .22 mag but was not aware they never changed the barrels back to the 'standard' .22 size. I asked because I thought that perhaps I could simple have a cylinder revamped to accept the .22 WRM but since my Bearcat is a '72 that wouldn't be possible. Don't need to make Mr Bowen any richer than he already is. :D

Single-Sixer
Sorry it took so long, but didn't notice the posts. Erich has it right, the newer Bearcats are wearing a barrel made for the magnum. Works like a charm.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Hi, Erich,

I just found this thread, and have enjoyed reading about your Bearcat adventures! May I ask, please, where did you get those neat little .22 rubber stripper clips? I'd love to have some of those! Thanks for any info you can send my way. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Erich

Single-Sixer
Hi Doc, I'm sorry that it took me so darned long to answer - those are QuickStrips from Tuff Products.

https://www.tuffproducts.com/product.php?productid=16340&cat=265&page=1