Bowen Bearcat .22 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougader

Hunter
Next you'll want one converted to 38 Special!

Cool gun, but I'd want better all around accuracy, too.

I see the link in your sig line for TN bullets. I've ordered from them and their bullets are good; the hand cast bullets are excellent.

AR1911

Bearcat
Looks to me like boring out the cylinder would be pretty simple work.
It's what, .001 larger?

Erich

Single-Sixer
Just ran across this thread again. Some more pix:

bearcatpix.jpg

25apr104.jpg

25apr106.jpg

Bkat

Blackhawk
If memory serves me right...

John Linebaugh makes a 32 conversion of the Ruger Bearcat.

Think either the 22 WMR or a 32 Bearcat makes a neat little package expanding the potential of the gun.

Just curious--has anyone seen a Bearcat converted to .32? Could an original Bearcat cylinder actually be reamed to .32 or would you have to start with another type of cylinder?

Bkat

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Bkat":hpde5kva said:

Think either the 22 WMR or a 32 Bearcat makes a neat little package expanding the potential of the gun.

Just curious--has anyone seen a Bearcat converted to .32? Could an original Bearcat cylinder actually be reamed to .32 or would you have to start with another type of cylinder?

Bkat
YEP, worked fine. Same cylinder rechambered.

Bkat

Blackhawk
YEP, worked fine. Same cylinder rechambered.

Thanks, Wil. I was a little surprised that the cylinder walls would still be thick enough. Guess it helps that the Bearcat cylinder is unfluted. Was it an OM, Super or NM?

If you ever have nothing to do, would love to see some pics of the conversion, especially the cylinder.

Thanks,
Bkat

djw54

Single-Sixer
Bkat":3qsg600k said:

Bkat

Alan Harton has done them as well. Here's a thread with pictures of one: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... on+bearcat

Erich

Single-Sixer
Proving that I have good taste, but maybe more money than sense (one certainly doesn't need one of these in a .22 Mag!) I did get the Belt Mountain base pin from Kelye Schlepp ; thanks to online amigo Wil Terry for the heads-up on the #5's availability for the Bearcat.

Loaded for bear . . . well, cats anyway!
BeltMountainBearcat19July190060001y.jpg

BeltMountainBearcat19July190020001y.jpg

A fellow asked me for close-ups of the front sight, so I thought I'd post them here as well in case anyone cares. (They're poorly done b/c my cheap camera's not good at such things.)

BeltMountainBearcat19July190050001y.jpg

BeltMountainBearcat19July190040001y.jpg

BeltMountainBearcat19July190030001y.jpg

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
Hi Erich
That 22 mag hurt real bad..
I have a colt with both cylinders and found the LR was ok for plinking
but the mag was the way to go for trail..
The 22 mag is a most overlooked round ..
These customs get into your blood so be careful!!!!!!!!!!!
Started with a NV 357 to 41mag custom then found I "had"
to get a 475 linebaugh!!!!!!!!

Single-Sixer
I had my daughters Bearcat rechambered to .22Mag and while it was a rough project, I'm thrilled with the final product.

I started with a very well know smith whose name I will never utter in public again and then had Alan Harton fix and finish the job. Alan made it special and I have a ball with it.

Is there a reason to rechamber the Bearcat? Not really, but the fireball coming out of the barrel is a lot of fun, as is the loudcrack when you touch it off.