Bowen 45 Colt Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

old 41

Bearcat
Today I picked up a Redhawk that has been modified by Bowen.
Says "Bowen 45 Colt Cal." on the barrel. Also says "Police Marksman Assoc. Limited Edition" on the frame. It dates to 1982, serial # 500-01700's, is a five shot, has a Bushnell 2X6X32 3200 Elite mounted.
Searches on the net have not proved very successful, I could not find much information at all.
45 Colt is 45 LC correct? Duh.
Is there any way to tell what all has been done by Bowen?
Could someone tell me more and/or show me links to learn?
Also, and I hate to ask but approximately what is it worth?
Has a few marks but is over all very nice. If I was to sell it should I leave the scope or remove it. Also came with some Hoge grips.
I plan on making the Boise gun show this weekend and so would like to be a little more knowledgeable of the gun before hand.

I do hate to ask such questions, but I tell you guys, I am pretty lost on this one, and know many of you here have forgotten more about Rugers that I will ever know.

Thanks

barrel.jpg

untitled.jpg

passn.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
Actually, .45LC is incorrect, its just .45 Colt. The 'Long' generated from differences between the 45 Schofield and 45 Colt being issued at the same time, but only 45 Schofield ammo being available.

Bowen must have at least done the 5 shot cylinder, but probably a bit more including action work.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/

I'm sure you could call and get all the specifics from them, I'm sure they keep pretty detailed records for insurance and invoicing purposes.

Custom guns are only worth what you or anyone else is willing to pay for them. I would start at the raw value of the gun and the raw value of the scope and it should go up from there.

As far as selling gun/scope together or seperate: I usually seperate. TO sell them together and get the best price would be assuming that you accidentally ran into someone who just happened to like the particular scope that is on the gun. Usually your best price is selling seperate. Best to keep the rings with the gun, and don't sell the scope untill you sell the gun. That way if it doesn't sell you still have the package to use. IMO anyway.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Sweet Revolver! That may be one you want to keep as it is likely a great shooter and not only a special edition from Ruger but not nearly as common in 45 in the longer barrel as the 44. I would be interested in that one for sure.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
That five shot cylinder alone was probably $800, plus, Bowen always does a complete action job on any of his guns. I had him build some for me, back in the early '90's, and the cylinders back then were about $650. I don't remember what he charged for an action job, back then. There is probably at least $1200 in custom work, plus a long wait to get it back. If you like it, it's a keeper, because you won't get out of it, what's been put in to it, although the Bowen name does command somewhat of a premium.

EarlFH

8emem

Bearcat
I would guess that you will find somewhere between $2500-$3000 tied up in the gun, scope and custom work. Maybe more. You woud have to find that one special buyer who values all of the work that was done, usually someone that was thinking about investing in a similar rig. Even then, a significant discount of at least a few hundred dollars may be required to close a deal. Any other type of potential buyer will balk at the price and waste your time. These type of investments in custom work are best left to age gracefully as heirlooms and enjoyed by many generations of a family.

Zeus

Blackhawk
Looks like the standard $1600 conversion with factory barrel. Figure in the cost of the gun and the scope and that will give you an idea of the total invested. HOWEVER, custom guns don't bring invested amounts alot of the time. With Bowen on the barrel inscription, that's helpful but finding someone to appreciate that and that wants a five shot 45 in a redhawk could be tough. Regardless, you have a very nice revolver and shouldn't have a hard time selling it but I wouldn't get my hopes up as far as getting total value of the conversion and base gun today.....Just my thoughts....GS

lfpiii

Blackhawk
The Police Marksman Association is a professional association for Law Enforcement Officers. Until the late 1990s the Association custom ordered guns as prizes or selling them in their magazine. Back then they were associated with a gun distributor Gulf (something). \

The Association had access to an FFL which always got them great deals. In 1987 I purchased a new Clark Custom PPC gun for $400.

You might want to check with the Association to find the history of the gun. Bowen would not know the end use. ttp://www.policeone.com/policemarksman/

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
My guess: $1800-$2500 as is. That's a great gun; might cost 3000 to make a new one.
Sonnytoo

Axehandle

Buckeye
FWIW I just bought a used 500L SRH Bowen Custom from Bowen for $1600..... The current Bowen price of the conversion alone is $1900... I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
It would be cheaper to just do what curtc did, and put a SRH 454 cylinder in it. Would be a six shot, and as strong as the Bowen five shot cylinder.
EarlFH

old 41

Bearcat
Thanks for all the answers, you guys are on top of things.
I called and spoke with Hamilton Bowen. It is $50 to research a gun but after a couple of questions he told me the gun has the RD05 upgrade. That doesn't include the trigger stop which this gun has, and I don't think the scope groves. It has a bead front sight and a "v" rear blade installed, but to know if and/or what other work was done he couldn't tell me without researching it.
I got it from the owners son who didn't have any answers for me. I assumed the original owner, but I don't know that for a fact.
My plan at the moment is to probably sell it, and unless I change my mind will post in the classified section of the forum in day or two.

Again thank you to everyone that responded, those posts truly helped me.