Bowen 1917 Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

solocam

Bearcat
I dont understand the Lanyard? I think they look out of place and just plain dumb JMHO!! Oh well different strokes for different folks

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
"I dont understand the Lanyard? I think they look out of place and just plain dumb JMHO!! Oh well different strokes for different folks."

I'm guessing that you have never been in a situation where you might need to hang onto a weapon, like a canoe trip or a combat zone.

Back when I first started shooting, I had several 1917, both S&W and Colt, as well as 2nd model hand ejectors, all with lanyard loops. I removed those loops, usually to fit target grips. Now, when I buy them, I put lanyard loops back on!

Morgoth

Bearcat
The lanyards are an "anachronism" to some. All three of my working revolvers (all Rugers I actually take into the woods/mountains/etc) have lanyard loops installed in case I take a tumble I don't lose it. They were present on WWI and WWII revolvers from Colt and S&W and I saw them attached to the Officer's and Staff NCO's pistols in the field in the Corps in the late 80's...although they seem to be characteristically associated with the British Military. This picture shows them armed with Webley's and lanyards.

2453141924_43f616a945.jpg

Mr. Bowen mentions them in the "Custom Revolver" saying they ward off the evil spirits that inhabit the modern world. Personally I think they look great

Deacon Blues

Bearcat
I love that revolver. Wish it was mine. I owned an original 1917 Smith several years ago. It had seen a lot of use, but it was a fun revolver to shoot.
I, too, never cared for the lanyard rings on a revolver until recently. I can see a lot of reasons to have one on a field gun.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
I really want one of those in 45LC and have been day dreaming about it for some time now. I sent Mr. Bowen an email asking about the possibility and found it would require a 7 1/2" gun to end up with a 5 1/2 and a 5 1/2 would end up being about a 4" completed. He also has over two years worth of projects waiting in line and is hesitant to add anymore to the list at this time. Oh and it would cost about $5000 too. Back to day dreaming...

M1917_Redhawk.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
That really is a beautiful revolver. I like the lanyard loop. But the front sight is hideous IMHO. Ed

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I recall someone on the forum saying that one was inbound, and he was going to be the current caretaker. Maybe the mystery will get solved....

Yes, that is beautiful, and part of the mental slide show of Mr. Bowens Finest work. Was thinking about that one over the last couple of weeks, and dreaming of one in .45 Colt too...

Morgoth

Bearcat
I'm the original poster...and as luck would have it, also the lucky owner of one of them! And that $5000 doesn't include the base gun..lol
I put in an order with Mr. Bowen after saving my sheckles. Took about a year but the revolver is certainly worth it.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107861

CraigC

Hawkeye
solocam said:
I dont understand the Lanyard? I think they look out of place and just plain dumb JMHO!! Oh well different strokes for different folks
Some posts are just not even worth responding to. :roll:

NorEaster

Blackhawk
Morgoth said:
I'm the original poster...and as luck would have it, also the lucky owner of one of them! And that $5000 doesn't include the base gun..lol
I put in an order with Mr. Bowen after saving my sheckles. Took about a year but the revolver is certainly worth it.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107861

Don't be shy... show us yours :)

coyote

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
That really is a beautiful revolver. I like the lanyard loop. But the front sight is hideous IMHO. Ed

sorry to disagree ed, but that front sight is exactly what i'd love to have on a number of my revolvers. i just can't afford to have mister bowen do the work.

eveled

Hawkeye
coyote said:
eveled said:

sorry to disagree ed, but that front sight is exactly what i'd love to have on a number of my revolvers. i just can't afford to have mister bowen do the work.

No apologies necessary. Is it an adjustable sight? Tough to tell from the pictures. Form follows function if it works better it is better. That really is a beautiful revolver. Ed

Ziptar

Bearcat
NorEaster said:
He also has over two years worth of projects waiting in line and is hesitant to add anymore to the list at this time.

:shock:

Does that include the standard catalog stuff too or just special projects? If it includes catalog stuff I better quit fooling around and get in line for a .45 Colt Kodiak.