bought stuff to reload today !!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
yep so i went out and bought a single stage press. Hornady classic.
i had about 300 left over brass so i threw them in the tumbler and let em go for about an hour.
got all the media out of em and started popping in new primers and that went smooth, till i realized i need to "resize" the brass before i start putting the powder in
so after an hour of trying to figure it out i opened the instructions and relized it does that when i knock out the old primer :oops:

so i went to start measuring my powder and bought a scale that is for grams insted of grains :oops:

so now im stuck here with 300 primed cases and 300 bullets that cant go home yet

also i tried pressing a few bullets into old cases just to know how and they seem to go in good but way too far, is that because i need the powder in it to press on? or do i need to adjust how far the bullets being pushed down?

so i have to ask does anyone have any tips for a new guy?

Enigma

Hunter
2fast4u":30hwlzmi said:
yep so i went out and bought a single stage press. Hornady classic.
i had about 300 left over brass so i threw them in the tumbler and let em go for about an hour.
got all the media out of em and started popping in new primers and that went smooth, till i realized i need to "resize" the brass before i start putting the powder in
so after an hour of trying to figure it out i opened the instructions and relized it does that when i knock out the old primer :oops:

so i went to start measuring my powder and bought a scale that is for grams insted of grains :oops:

so now im stuck here with 300 primed cases and 300 bullets that cant go home yet

also i tried pressing a few bullets into old cases just to know how and they seem to go in good but way too far, is that because i need the powder in it to press on? or do i need to adjust how far the bullets being pushed down?

so i have to ask does anyone have any tips for a new guy?

Yes; STOP RIGHT THERE! You very obviously have not read the two (minimum) reloading manuals that you bought yet. Step away from the reloading bench, and go read your manuals - the part at the beginning, about 'how-to.' Then come back and ask your questions.

Not intended as a flame, just a friendly suggestion to RTFM!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Enigma":w1we6adk said:
Yes; STOP RIGHT THERE!

LOL !!! That's funny 2 fast, but I agree with Enigma. STOP what you're doing and step SLOWLY away from the press !!!! DO NOT APPROACH the press again before going back and reading the manual (or the instructions from your dies ... they're quite good). You are playing with explosives, and there can't be any fooling around or uncertainty.

To answer your questions ... NO, the powder doesn't stop the bullet from being seated too far ... adjusting the seating and crimping die properly and correctly does that.

Try to find someone who can help you get started, and go back and read the manual for your press, your dies, and the how-to's in your reloading manuals. Reloading is a step by step logical process, but you have to know what you're doing from a mechanical point of view first.

Honestly, it's inconceivable to me that you read the manuals FIRST and then didn't know that you had already resized the cases while depriming.

This really isn;t something to mess around with, my friend. Nobody here wants to see anyone get hurt ... that's why some of the responses may be kind of 'unforgiving'.

Please be careful. Reloading is easy and fun, but it's also got to be approached very seriously.

REV

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
when i went back and read it, i though i understood it, ill read it again, but the manuals that came with it don't explain what to do. i think i was missing a manual......

revhigh

Hawkeye
Try your die instructions ... they're actually very good.

REV

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
alright thanks for your help! when i get off class today ill re read everything again.
ill let you guys know what happens!

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
thanks for the info guys, im going to read through all the stuff i have and then go buy a Hornady manual

and i looked at the conversions from grams to grains and the powder im using only takes 4-4.4 grains depending on the velocity i want
and my gram scale doesn't measure that specific so im going to get a scale that measures grains.

ive also watched videos online and it seems like i was doing it correctly so far, but im going to slow down and do it correctly so i dont make my self go BOOM

revhigh

Hawkeye
2fast4u":295pdi1d said:
im going to get a scale that measures grains.

The best solution for sure !! RCBS 505's work well. You can always trust gravity .... not so much with electronics ....

REV

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
one thing im not sure i understand though so i actually re size the case twice?

it does it once when i remove the old primer,
then i need to expand the head of the case to make it easier for the bullet to go in?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Here ya go 2fast.

Die 1 - full length resizes (removes any bow) created by the case containing the previous explosion, and punches out the old primer. Die should usually be set so that it just touches the shellholder when the ram is in full upstroke.

Die 2 - Slightly bells/flares the case mouth (should be set to bell/flare as little as possible) just enough so that the bullet may be placed evenly on top of case and eventually be pressed into the case.

Die 3 - presses the bullet into the case, and once seated crimps the top of the case (thus removing the bell/flare) so that the bullet can not move backwards into the case during recoil for revolvers, or for autos, during the slamming of the slide to feed the next round into the chamber. For revolvers, bullets usually have a 'cannelure' which is usually a knurled area going around the bullet, which is where the crimp should take place. The crimp also serves to slightly contain the explosion of the powder, so that pressure builds prior to the bullet being ejected, as well as ensures that the powder is consumed as much as possible prior to ejection of the bullet, and not just blown out of the barrel behind the bullet.

I'll post how to set the seating/crimping die later. Not enough time now.

REV

Enigma

Hunter
2fast4u, I didn't mean to come across as arrogant; it's just like the rev said - you're dealing with potentially dangerous, even fatal stuff here. While reloading is mechanically pretty simple, you must have an understanding of how things are supposed to work before you attempt it. This is definitely NOT the arena to say 'here, hold my beer and watch this!' I'm sitting around home (week 3) recovering from surgery, so I'm probably a bit cranky.

The Hornady manual that was recommended is an excellent one. I also recommend the Lyman manual, here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=217655

Lyman has always included some very good technical information that not everyone else does, as well as data for both jacketed and cast bullets.

Another very good book, and one that I strongly recommend to beginners, that explains the actual process of reloading is the ABCs of Reloading: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=738288

So, do some research, and then come back and ask questions. We'll be more than happy to assist you. I really wish that the Internet had been around back when I began reloading! It would have saved me a lot of grief!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
2fast4u":yj3mqk9i said:
alright thanks for your help! when i get off class today ill re read everything again.
ill let you guys know what happens!

Hi, 2fast

Looks like you're getting good advice all around, and I'm sure Rev's PM will contain a lot of good suggestions not already covered.

Quick question: do you shoot at a range or w/ buddies who are reloaders? If so, can you ask around to see if someone might be willing to mentor you a bit as you become familarized w/ the reloading process?

Not only is it one of those "picture worth 1000 words" things, but having an experienced set of eyes over your shoulder can sometimes alert you to things you might not pick up from the books. Especially if there's an "oops" in the making: as already mentioned, dealing w/ flammable/explosive items is NOT a good place for those!

Best of luck, keep reading, and ASK all those "stupid" questions that come up. None of us started this game knowing any more than you do, but most of us are more than willing to share what we've learned along the way. 'Specially if we can keep a guy going in the right direction!

Rick C

Latest posts