Bought some ammo today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Was in a Wal Mart in Birmingham, AL today and I stopped back to the sporting goods section to see if they had any ammo. They had a "value pack /100 rounds" of Winchester 38 Special 130 grain for $18.97. I picked it up as it seemed to be a very good deal for range ammo. They also had one box of Winchester 38 Special +P (50 rounds) for $24 so I bought that too. I am a new owner of a GP100 spending time coming up to speed and am just have two quick questions:
- Is a 100 round value pack of Winchester 38 Special a good deal or the
normal deal?
- Is Winchester ammo low end, about average, or totally fine?

Thanks in advance,

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Those ammo prices are fair. Especially in light of the recent ammo shortage we have all been seeing.
That ammo is just fine. The value pack is good plinking ammo, and the +P stuff can be used for self defense. So, to answer your question, I'd call what you got 'average."

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The price on the 130gr stuff is pretty good. Up until recently my local chain was getting $18/50 for UMC. I noted today they had it for $16/50. That's the first time I've seen a price go down in a long time, but it's still almost twice what you paid.

The +P was fairly steep, but it may be a JHP "personal protection" type round, which are always a little more. A real good PP round, like a Silvertip, FTX, or Gold Dot, will be more like $20/20.

-- Sam

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Where I am in northwest arizona, its a great price, because they have some. At my wall mart, they gots zip center fire pistol ammo.

BluedMoon

Bearcat
That is right in line with the same value packs at Walmart in Texas (when you can find them in stock). That ammo is fine for shooting at the range.

stoogeweb

Bearcat
I paid 30.00 for value pack /100 rounds of the Winchester at Wallyworld last weekend. NW illinois.

You done good.

mattsbox99

Hunter
That Winchester load is more accurate than I can get with handloads in my GP, same with the Remington version of the same stuff, 38+p 125 JHP, I'm putting 10 shots into .5-.7" at 50 feet. I can't do better than .8" with handloads.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I personally cannot stand cheap Winchester ammo.
They seem to put enough powder in to get the bullet down the barrel, not much more.
The premium stuff is ok, anything that says "value" usually ain't much
value. I would go with European or Mexican for plinking.

wingspar

Bearcat
Not Wall-Mart, but yesterday I picked up a box of Remington UMC .38 Special for $19 and a box of Winchester (white box) 9mm Luger 115 grain for $20.

Had to drive 80 miles (one way) and go to 3 stores to get these two boxes of ammo. First store, no ammo. Second store scored box of 38's. 3rd store, scored the box of 9mm. The selection of hand guns is even worse.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have shot a bunch of the win. white box ammo it is fine for my type of shooting then I have cases to load my loads in. I have used it in my 454 alaskan and several of the value packs in my 357's and 38's. They all shoot great for me and a good hull after the first shot for reloading they are loaded a little light but preform great and at a reasonable price. I have no objection to buying them. In my 454 alaskan I can hit a 6" spot at 75 yds regularly. That's not bad for a snub nosed cannon in my opinion. The recoil of this ammo in the alaskan is comparable to my sp101 with 357 mag loads not bad at all.

SweetKnuckles

Bearcat
Go back and buy more if you can!

If you got 100 rounds .38 spcl from Wal mart for underr 19 bucks, it was either mismarked or your particular walmart is clearing that stuff out.

9mm 100 round WWB packs are around $21, so for you to be paying $3 lower for 100 rounds of a 'rarer' caliber (lately) is fantastic.

Winch JHP +p .38 out here in AZ runs about $19/50, and the WinClean (non leaded warm and fuzzy stuff) is about $24/50

gmaske

Bearcat
If it's anything like there 45ACP stuff it will shoot good but your pistol will get dirty. I don't have a problem with it and use the brass to reload. I haven't bought a box in a long while but the price sounds about right.

ShakyJake

Bearcat
Hi,
Just paid $32 for the 100 round WWB 38spl. here in west central Fl. Fifty round boxes of commerical reloads are $14 at the local range, otherwise commerical 50 round boxes are in the low $20's.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

Not bad at all. Here in SoCal I look at two Wal-Marts. Only one box of .44 Mag at $33.00 in only one of the stores. 1 box .32 auto @ 18.50, and 1 box .25 auto@ $16.50. Nothing to shoot them in so just looked.
gramps

Vecco

Single-Sixer
I shoot WWB 100 pack all the time for Range ammo. It is cheap and works well, it always goes bang and hits where I aim. It SOMETIMES is very dirty but most of the time its not. Either way I clean and oil my guns after 100 rounds anyway or if they look dirty. When we get 38 its 24.99 a box/100