Bought My First 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I knew the day would come when I would buy my first semi-auto 9mm, two years ago the Ruger American Pistol Competition Model caught my eye. I wanted a high capacity full sized house gun so I held the standard full size model and it felt very nice but I liked the idea of the longer barrel and Hi Viz site so I waited, and waited, and waited. This week I checked again as I do every week or so and there it was, available for order, click, done. I'll have it in a couple of days, ordered a magazine loader, some cleaning brushes, and an assortment of different cheap target ammo to see what it likes. My LGS has lots of different hollow points for me to try and I'll probably pick up a bucket-o-bullets from him when I pick up the gun. Pictures and a full range report to follow.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I knew the day would come when I would buy my first semi-auto 9mm, two years ago the Ruger American Pistol Competition Model caught my eye. I wanted a high capacity full sized house gun so I held the standard full size model and it felt very nice but I liked the idea of the longer barrel and Hi Viz site so I waited, and waited, and waited. This week I checked again as I do every week or so and there it was, available for order, click, done. I'll have it in a couple of days, ordered a magazine loader, some cleaning brushes, and an assortment of different cheap target ammo to see what it likes. My LGS has lots of different hollow points for me to try and I'll probably pick up a bucket-o-bullets from him when I pick up the gun. Pictures and a full range report to follow.

I'm glad you didn't rush into buying a gun chambered in a cartridge that was introduced in 1901.
It's best to wait until a given cartridge has proven itself....
By a coincidence, I shot 4 different 9's today ,all of them pure joy! They are addicting.

9mm is a good adequate caliber. I find 40 slightly adequater. 357sig, 10mm, 45 are all authoritative. For HD a service/service+ pistol with a light is the way to go. For around the house I have a 7" 357sig with 16 in the mag and 2 30's to reload hurling Lehigh's at 2,000+ fps.

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_134502241.jpg
    IMG_20220506_134502241.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20211026_210435292.jpg
    IMG_20211026_210435292.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited: