Bought another neglected Ruger (PHOTOS)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CBH

Bearcat
No photos yet, but I found a used Mk I .22 pistol, 4.75" tapered barrel, FS, checkered walnut stocks with maybe 70% original finish left on the metal, checkering worn near smooth off the stocks. Serial # has a "11" prefix, giving it a DOB of 1972-73.

Ruger will refinish the gun for $80.00, $30.00 return shipping, plus the cost of any parts it may need. $20.00 to ship it to Prescott, AZ. I will shoot it first, then wait to ship it out after I write my kid's next tuition checks.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Sounds like a shooter. I have the same kind of gun and thought about
Ruger refinishing it, but the cost is excessive to me.
If it was more reasonable, like Glock, that will refinish for $40 I would jump on it.
As it is, I think I would just shoot it as is.

CBH

Bearcat
I finally got around to snapping a few photos of the .22 I bought. Still have not fired it yet, but the kids return to college this weekend so I will be able to find some time soon.

DSCN3307.JPG

DSCN3309.JPG

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Here's mine of about the same era purchased new for $37.50, much abused with tens of thousands of rounds through it. SN 270XXX. Still accurate and reliable. Tiger wood grips I made shown instead of the black plastic one I have in the box.

I'm in favor of keeping mine the way it is although I got the same quote you did from Ruger.

RugerStandard.jpg

A

Anonymous

If you call that "neglected" then you just haven't seen enough old pistols! :lol:
Looks fine to me as is and should do a great job as a fun to use shooter. :wink:

greener

Single-Sixer
'73-ish is an A-100 Standard. Looks pretty good. Lots of character. I picked up this 73 standard a few months ago.

DSC00845.jpg

Had some surface rust and a ridge of rust just under the edge of the grips. Receiver-grip frame fit was really loose. Spent some time with oil and 0000 steel wool and shimmed the grip frame lug area. I've been dithering over whether to send it to Ruger for a redo, try my hand at Duracoat, fit some Hogues and/or do a VQ trigger/sear installation. No decision on the external finish, but I think I may well leave it with well-worn "character." An old, worn-out looking Ruger draws some comments. Yours looks pretty good.