Bought a old model Single Six, did I pay a fair price?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
I was at my local gun store, and saw a old model Single Six flat top, #397878, in the consignment case for $250. It looks brand new. It does not even have a turn ring on the cylinder. Problems are, it only has the magnum cylinder, it's had the tranfer bar conversion, and does not have the old parts. The Ruger website lists the serial# as a magnum model. Does that mean it only came with the mag cylinder? The mag cylinder does not have the electric pencil etching of the last 3 digits of the serial# on it. Anywhere I can ge the old lockwork for it? I figure I will just use it as my varmint hunting side arm, but as nice as it is, it might be worth looking for original parts.

pete44ru

Hunter
IIRC, at that SN the mag cylinder would have been issued as the extra, w/etched SN.

A toll-free call to Ruger with the SN will tell you how (single cyl or convertible (and ergo the value), and when, it was shipped.

I would place a WTB ad in our Classifieds for the OM lockwork.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, according to the RENE, (Red Eagle News Exchange) guide,, the serial number of your gun indicates it's not a magnum only gun. However,, lets look at something. Check the frame on the left side and see if it says; "Ruger Single-Six Win 22 RF Mag Cal."
If so,, then it was shipped as a RSSM gun,,, AND would be a higher number than we've known to exist. The Ruger website isn't always correct in it's info. The best way to determine what it shipped as,, is to place a call to Ruger Records,, and ask. (603-863-3300) The ladies in records will give you the correct model info and a month & year of shipment. Example; RSSMX
They will also send you a current catalog,, an owners manuel,, and even a letter with this info all for free if you ask.
To convert it back to it's old lockwork will take a set of parts that usually sell for between $50 & $75. An extra correct cylinder in 22 LR will run you about the same. Considering it's very nice,, but missing the original parts and possibily the extra cylinder,, it may have also been refinished. But if it's original,, AND it is marked Mag only,, then you have a later piece and a very interesting one.
The devil is in the details!

Chance

Buckeye
As Contender suggests you will probably need to call Ruger records for the final answer. I have #3525xx that has the standard Single Six rollmark on the frame. Shipped in Dec 62 it letters as a RSSMX convertible shipped "with an extra .22 L.R. cylinder". Keep an eye on the classified here as the lockworks show fairly regularly.

How about a pic

cgb

Bearcat
My son dropped my camera a few days ago, so I can't take a pic. It just has the standard roll mark. I will call and check it out next week.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Unfortunately the Ruger Web Site's s/n data is totally FUBAR with respect to the Old Model Single-Sixes made after about 1963.

Your Ruger, however, may have been shipped as a "Magnum Only". The ONLY WAY to know for certain is to ask the wonderful Ladies at the "Export Dept."

JMHO,

flatgate

cgb

Bearcat
Thanks for all the info. I will call and get the info from ruger.

flatgate

Hawkeye
After the demise of the rather large production run of the .22 Mag. Single-Sixes, some of which were shipped with two cylinders, the RSSM catalog listing continued to be utilized and it meant 6-1/2" barreled Single-Six.

Nobody said understanding the quicks of Ruger Nomenclature was easy!

:)

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
cgb":17sayww8 said:
I was at my local gun store, and saw a old model Single Six flat top, #397878, in the consignment case for $250. It looks brand new. It does not even have a turn ring on the cylinder. Problems are, it only has the magnum cylinder, it's had the tranfer bar conversion, and does not have the old parts. The Ruger website lists the serial# as a magnum model. Does that mean it only came with the mag cylinder? The mag cylinder does not have the electric pencil etching of the last 3 digits of the serial# on it. Anywhere I can ge the old lockwork for it? I figure I will just use it as my varmint hunting side arm, but as nice as it is, it might be worth looking for original parts.

Be sure to have the ladies at Ruger tell you the actual catalog number the gun was shipped as. If it left as RSSMW, then it was originally .22 Mag. only. The highest one I have heard of so far is 398349, but it would not surprise me if somebody finds one even in the 4xxxxx range.
If it letters as RSSMW, its a rare gun! I only know of three at this time and one of those was a factory "second".
Be sure to let us know how you turn out!
Chet15

cgb

Bearcat
Well, I called today and it is a RSSMX, Single Six magnum with an extra 22lr cylinder, shipped in AUG. of 1964. I found the lockwork, but still need to find a lr cylinder. I called ruger, and they quoted me, $65 for the cylinder, $55 for the labor, and $30 for return shipping. Considering All the major shippers will only send handguns overnight at another $30, that means I'd be $180 in to it just for the stinking cylinder. The lockwork is going to run me $75. That would put me at just over $500 for a gun I could maybe sell for $350. It's nice, to nice actualy, I can't find a mark on the thing, which makes me think that it was refinished. Probably when it was sent back to have the lockwork changed. The bore looks great, with no wear that I can see. So I may just leave it as it is, and use it as my varmint hunting sidearm. Should be more than accurate enough for squirrels and jacks at 25 yards or less.

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
You got one heck of a deal. I had a single six back about 20 years ago that had both cylinders but it shot so well with the magnum rounds that I put the 22lr cylinder away in the bag that the magnum came in and never used it again. If I were you I would enjoy a very neet gun and have fun with it. I can tell you that it will hit varments with great accuricy out well past 25 yards, I was able to hit exactly where I aimed at out 50 to 75 yards any time I wanted to. Enjoy.

chet15

Hawkeye
cgb":1sio3xd4 said:
Well, I called today and it is a RSSMX, Single Six magnum with an extra 22lr cylinder, shipped in AUG. of 1964. I found the lockwork, but still need to find a lr cylinder. I called ruger, and they quoted me, $65 for the cylinder, $55 for the labor, and $30 for return shipping. Considering All the major shippers will only send handguns overnight at another $30, that means I'd be $180 in to it just for the stinking cylinder.

Somebody here on RF can probably help you out on a LR cylinder that more than likely will just drop right in. You might want to post an ad in the classifieds to see what you can come up with. Same for the lockwork if you want it.
Chet15