Bought a No 1 45-70, how did I do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andylate

Bearcat
I bought the gun I have wanted for years, a No 1 S in 45-70. Rifle was made late 1999(?) by serial number, and is in 98% condition with box. The rifle came with a Tasco 3X9 World Class (which I took off), nice leather cobra-style sling (which I took off for now), and 26 rounds of ammo.

I can't wait to go shooting, I also have a Marlin Guide Gun, so I reload for the caliber already. I don't plan on loading any ammo for the No 1 that is beyond what is safe for the Marlin.

I paid $700 for the rifle, I am happy, but how do you think I did?

Thanks
Andy

mattsbox99

Hunter
If you are happy, price is irrelevant. I'd say you also did well price wise.

That No. 1 can handle quite a bit more than the Marlin, but it is completely effective at Marlin level loads.

andylate

Bearcat
I know the Ruger is strong, Mattsbox, but I find 28000 PSI loads kick me plenty in the Marlin. I was thinking exactly what Bob said about the price. Also 700 face to face beats 700 on the 'net with shipping and FFL fees. Here are some (poor) pics.

4202694768_04e3d43a53.jpg

4201933207_c269f9919a.jpg

4202690226_838e63fcf8.jpg

4202687426_f4cdb21270.jpg

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Looks like you got some nice wood and that's always a plus (and worth a little extra money in my book). The 50th Anniversay box doesn't hurt either!

c.robertson

Bearcat
Andylate,
For what it is worth, I think you got a pretty good buy. You know that within 6 months you will probably see one for at least $100.00 LESS. LOL That seems to always be the case. I suspect you will be quite pleased with your #1 though. They are really great rifles.
I paid $1,100.00 for a 50 Year Anniversary and $1,300.00 for a Lyman 100 Year Commerative with case and accessories. Currently waiting for rings & 6-18X40 Nikon Buckmaster Scope for the Anniversary Model.
I can only guess at where the front sight is, just can's see it. OLD AGE SUCKS.
The Lyman shoots just fine with the LOOOOOONG 4X Lyman scope, but it is a PIA to use. So far I have only shot 53 rounds of mild '1873 Trapdoor' loads in them.
ENJOY[/img]

captainkirk

Blackhawk
c.robertson":3nqw59ps said:
Andylate,
For what it is worth, I think you got a pretty good buy. You know that within 6 months you will probably see one for at least $100.00 LESS. LOL That seems to always be the case. I suspect you will be quite pleased with your #1 though. They are really great rifles.
I paid $1,100.00 for a 50 Year Anniversary and $1,300.00 for a Lyman 100 Year Commerative with case and accessories. Currently waiting for rings & 6-18X40 Nikon Buckmaster Scope for the Anniversary Model.
I can only guess at where the front sight is, just can's see it. OLD AGE SUCKS.
The Lyman shoots just fine with the LOOOOOONG 4X Lyman scope, but it is a PIA to use. So far I have only shot 53 rounds of mild '1873 Trapdoor' loads in them.
ENJOY[/img]

Just curious because I have never used one, but what is the difficulty with the Lyman scope? Is it eye relief, adjustments, or limited field of view? I always liked the way these things looked, but figured there had to be disadvantages.

Thanks

captainkirk

c.robertson

Bearcat
Main complaint on the Lyman Scope is that recoil moves it forward when shooting and causes the crosshair to go cattywompus. It has to be re-positioned after each shot. If you forget, you start following the scope down the barrel with your head. :lol:
Field of view is small, but that is OK since all shooting will be off the bench.
Adjustments are just barely acceptable.
The length lends itself to risk of serious damage if not VERY careful. One drop and the scope is done.
HOWEVER, all that said, it is neater than all get out and I will not change a thing about it. A real FUN GUN.

63November

Single-Sixer
It could cost you a lot more to discover how fine the #1 really can be. The 45-70 #1-S really convinced me (and showed me what the 218 #1-B should handle like.) I hope your's turns out to be half as good as mine has been for me. Your's in in much nicer shape at this point, but I wouldn't part with mine in spite of worn bluing on the edges and finish on the corners for a mere $700. (Of course, many folks might not give much over $500 for mine either, but the memories are mine alone and I value that.)

I truly wish you well with it. They're great rifles.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I agree, they are great rifles! I bought my first back at the beginning of November. I got it sighted in but didn't really have time to tweak a load. I took it hunting once but didn't get a shot at anything, things got busy and I didn't get a chance to work on a load for it. The weather turned sour after hunting season for a few weeks, and yesterday I got a chance to take it to the range and try out some loads I had leftover from testing another .25/06. I was more than impressed with the 1/2" group at 100 yards. The trigger is perfect on mine, and with a group like that, who could complain?