Bought a new flashlight for home...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Got it at walmart for $18. 75 lumens/85 yards on 3 AAA's. Thing is a spotlight. :shock:

light1280x768.jpg

IMO it's all that someone would need for a HD situation. I also use it to let my dogs out at night. :p

Cholo

Staff member
Conrad, it seems like one hell of a deal!! I got into flashlights about 10 years ago when I ditched my 3 Mag-Lite's. I went to Streamlights, 2 Scorpions and a home Stinger rechargable. Love my Streamlights, but when my Stinger warped the lens because of heat, the replacement shined a spot that was far less than perfect than the original. My 2 Scorpions (78 lumens) have been most excellent, though the Duracell 123 lithium batteries are a bit pricey. I bought about 20 of them for a deal.

I'm not a SureFire fan. The spot was less than perfect and it rattled like a Yugo. I found a small light made by Coast-Led Lenser that takes 3 AAA batteries and puts out 83 lumens, more than enough to blind someone in the dark for a few minutes. I had many guinea pigs :wink:

What I like about a quality LED light is there's no heat to warp the lens. What I don't like is the alkaline batteries they take. Cheap, but in the long run? Also, I've never had a quality lithium battery leak, I have alkaline.

I paid about $35 at a gun show for my Coast, about the same I paid for my Streamlight Scorpions. Much cheaper online now. If I was looking for a good light now? I'd check out the Coleman you mentioned for the $. 75-83 lumens won't matter in the scheme of things.

Nice topic!

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cholo":3qaqn5s8 said:
Conrad, it seems like one hell of a deal!! I got into flashlights about 10 years ago when I ditched my 3 Mag-Lite's. I went to Streamlights, 2 Scorpions and a home Stinger rechargable. Love my Streamlights, but when my Stinger warped the lens because of heat, the replacement shined a spot that was far less than perfect than the original. My 2 Scorpions (78 lumens) have been most excellent, though the Duracell 123 lithium batteries are a bit pricey. I bought about 20 of them for a deal.

I'm not a SureFire fan. The spot was less than perfect and it rattled like a Yugo. I found a small light made by Coast-Led Lenser that takes 3 AAA batteries and puts out 83 lumens, more than enough to blind someone in the dark for a few minutes. I had many guinea pigs :wink:

What I like about a quality LED light is there's no heat to warp the lens. What I don't like is the alkaline batteries they take. Cheap, but in the long run? Also, I've never had a quality lithium battery leak, I have alkaline.

I paid about $35 at a gun show for my Coast, about the same I paid for my Streamlight Scorpions. Much cheaper online now. If I was looking for a good light now? I'd check out the Coleman you mentioned for the $. 75-83 lumens won't matter in the scheme of things.

Nice topic!

I bought some NiMh rechargeable AAA's So I should be gtg :D

I'm just blown away at how bright this thing is. Makes my mag lights look like toys. :lol:

Cholo

Staff member
"Makes my mag lights look like toys."

In the scheme of things, they're nothing but heavy toys with much less that steller performance.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks for the heads up Conrad. I'll try to pick up one this weekend. Sounds like a real bargain and looks good too.

ConradM

Blackhawk
welder":3hxd5a4p said:
Thanks for the heads up Conrad. I'll try to pick up one this weekend. Sounds like a real bargain and looks good too.

I was surprised when I took it out of the package and it was matte black... Real sturdy construction too. :D

OldCowHand

Bearcat
Sounds like it's working well for you. I picked up a Fenix LD20 for about $50 a year ago when the two-handed action required by my 2AA MagLite got to be a problem. Like the MagLite, it runs on two AA batteries (and, like you, I've pretty well quit buying alkalines -- either the standard or low-internal-discharge NiMH rechargeables pay for themselves in just a few months, after which it's all profit). In its non-turbo range it cycles between 9 lumens, 47, 94 and SOS. In turbo mode it puts out 180 lumens, either steady or as a fast, disorienting strobe. I use it at least a dozen times a day, at all illumination levels. Never be without a good light!

Hey thanks, ConradM. I just picked up the last one in my local Wally World. They have lots of the hunting variety, 75 lumens with a red & green lens, without the tactical look. Same price. Nice light! Don't look at it in the mirror. AARRRGHHH.

ConradM

Blackhawk
steveodtw":3tl4boo1 said:
Hey thanks, ConradM. I just picked up the last one in my local Wally World. They have lots of the hunting variety, 75 lumens with a red & green lens, without the tactical look. Same price. Nice light! Don't look at it in the mirror. AARRRGHHH.

Nice!

Cholo

Staff member
snakespit, have you tried the new small flashlights by Streamlight, Coast and now one branded as a Coleman? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! I left out Surefire because the one I tried didn't measure up.

Mine will literally blind you for about 5-10 seconds if I shine a 1 second blast into your eyes in the dark. That's why I keep one next to my home gun.

Ok, to be fair I have to give a downside to the smaller ultra lights. 2 weeks ago my power went off at night while on my computer. I got out my laptop and the light from my Streamlight Stinger was too intense no matter what angle I put it. I was out of D batteries for my Mag-Lite so had to make due. I'll take that downside anyday.

One more thing. My Mag-lites put out a yellow spot where my minis put out a white spot. It's the difference between seeing eyes in the woods 25yrs behind my house to seeing and identifying the animal and its size. They're that good!

ConradM

Blackhawk
snakespit":3ej766p4 said:
for the price you can't beat a mag light. And it's made in the USA

I have a LED mag light mini... The coleman destroys it.

snakespit

Bearcat
I looked at streamlights MADE IN CHINA :x I could not find out about coast or coleman. But since they were not claiming MADE IN AMERICA I will take it they also come from china. Please tell me otherwise.

I buy americam when I can :D . And my mags have never failed. And if they did i always had the spare bulb in the battery cap and I was back in business. I have yet to get one of their LEDs as I have 5 regular bulb mags. When they crap out I will try one of their LEDs. That will be some years I think.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":1crkzqkz said:
I bought some NiMh rechargeable AAA's So I should be gtg :D
:

Just be aware that rechargeable AAs are usually 1.2 volts. They do this prevent them from overcharging and ruining electronics. No idea how an LED light will work with them, compare fully charged NiMhs with new alkalines and see if there's a difference in brightness.

snakespit":1crkzqkz said:
I buy americam when I can :D . And my mags have never failed. And if they did i always had the spare bulb in the battery cap and I was back in business. I have yet to get one of their LEDs as I have 5 regular bulb mags. When they crap out I will try one of their LEDs. That will be some years I think.

Get the LED upgrade bulbs for your Mags :!:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Edirty692":1t3l8o7d said:
Nice to know I can get a great light at my local Walmart. Been looking for a good light. Nice heads up Conrad!!!

Np! Glad I could spread the word. :D