Bought a mini 14 today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Bought it for my Birthday. Got it at Cabela's. My son got me a knife set too. It came with 2 mags and a scope rail and steel scope rings too. Now to work up some loads.

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Rectangle

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I wanted one since the 80's. We used a mini to kill steer at the butcher shop i worked in. Never could afford one. So finally my dream came true. Still debating to scope it or not. It's a ranch. I think they send the casings out the side. I'll see how i do with the irons and go from there. Im loading 55 grain magtech from RMR with 24.2 grains of varget.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I had a Mini 14 about 1995 and then sold it a few years later.

Late last year, I bought a new stainless "tactical" model and then followed it up with a beautiful Mini 30 blue model. Both guns came with the Ruger synthetic stock so I switched them both to an older Ruger hardwood Mini14 stock (the ones with the curved plastic butt plate). Had to do a little fitting on the Mini 30 combination but finally got it to work. I switched the stock hand guard to a Choate Tool Mini 14 Ventilated Handguard on both guns.

I added that 2.5 fixed Leupold scope and it really works for these old eyes.

Both guns are flawless and very accurate. This new Mini 30 is using steel case 7.62x39 ammo with no problems.

Trooper Joe

Attachments

• 7BC4E2B8-67EA-4656-B323-85B2BEC76148.jpeg
    7BC4E2B8-67EA-4656-B323-85B2BEC76148.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
We were using M1 carbines for patrol rifles when I joined the Michigan State Police in the 60's. These Mini 14 and 30 rifles remind me of our M1 carbines, however, they are much better guns. The M1 carbines always malfunctionEd during training.

Trooper Joe

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
It's zeroed at 50 for now. The sun was working it's way around and i was getting glare. So i stopped there. The shots at the top red dot are at 50 yards. With the Varget loads. I had to do 2 mag dumps too lol.
attachFull1097377

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Yes it throws cases like a 10mm 1911 lol. I took the cardboard i used to do the 25 yard zero. And tucked it in between the planks on the bench to catch them then.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Very nice, I was in the same boat for a long time, finally found a Mini30, started doing all the do it yourself improvements found on YouTube, shoots like a dream now, last one was the throwing of the brass into the next county, fixed that by replacing the gas bushing, now the brass drops in a small pile about 10 feet away.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I have a cousin who bought a first year Mini-30 in 1987-1988. We took it out out once and it it wouldn't chamber the steel jacketed ammo available at the time. Some worked but most didn't. Some we had to drive out when they got stuck before fully chambering. I told him to contact Ruger and send it back. As far as I know it is still sitting in the corner of his closet because he never sent it back.