Bottom metal screws on older M77 Mark ii

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SROB34

Bearcat
Hey all, first time poster here.

I bought a used M77 Mark ii a few years back in 7mm rem mag. Honestly its a lot of gun for me with recoil and haven't been able to get good grouping with it.

Doing some research on some other forums on how to eliminate variables (other than become a better shooter, already working on that with fundamentals), I've seen a few posts about bottom metal affecting accuracy and making sure those screws are tightened to spec (again, easy way to eliminate accuracy variables).

This model has flathead screws that clearly have been worked over a few times, and I'm unable to even try to get it to torque to a reasonable tightness because of that - I had my fat wrench set for 30 inch lbs for reference.

I've noticed some aftermarket bottom metal hex screw upgrades here and there, but never the set of two. Any advice on where to search for these? I thought a Ruger forum might be a good start.

SROB34

Bearcat
Also, based on the SN it was made in the late 90s. Would it be possible that a 25 yo barrel with likely medium/low use would have worn out at this point? Any way to have that checked out?

Thanks for the help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Have you checked with Brownell's for replacement screws?

I doubt seriously the barrel is worn out. I'd worry more about poor maintenance than excessive shooting in general.

Email Ruger, they gave me new ring screws once just for asking to buy some allen or hex not sure which I got. Midway also sells them. Take the screws to your local gunsmith, betting he will sell or give you the correct ones.
As far as better groups, less recoil. You leave most information out. But, going to the lighter bullets vs heavier will help. Handloading helps. A aftermarket reoil pad you wear on your shoulder helps. I got one for my boys to use. I don't use it. Felt recoil is a very personal thing it can be over come but takes lots of range time. I shoot the 7mm reg mag 77 mark 2 with 139 grain bullets and it's not punishing at all to me.. I shoot 45-70 405 gr, 375hh 260 gr, 358 norma mag 200 gr, 338 RUM 250 gr. Those are the heavy kickers. I would encourage you to start your shooting day with a light weight kicker, something that is fun for you. Move on to the heavier kicking rifle near the end of your shooting. If you only have that rile, you still need a light kicker to develop good shooting ability. Shoot as little as 3 shots to maybe 10 per range trip. All of those rifles I listed shoot great, I never shoot more than about 10 rounds with any of them during a range day. Other wise bad habits develop for even me.

Last edited:

SROB34

Bearcat
I checked Brownell's, no luck. I did see that Midway has some (front and center in hex) but the rear screw is still the flat head screw and I'm looking for the rear hex screw.

I'll check with Ruger directly and see, thanks!

SROB34

Bearcat
Email Ruger, they gave me new ring screws once just for asking to buy some allen or hex not sure which I got. Midway also sells them. Take the screws to your local gunsmith, betting he will sell or give you the correct ones.
As far as better groups, less recoil. You leave most information out. But, going to the lighter bullets vs heavier will help. Handloading helps. A aftermarket reoil pad you wear on your shoulder helps. I got one for my boys to use. I don't use it. Felt recoil is a very personal thing it can be over come but takes lots of range time. I shoot the 7mm reg mag 77 mark 2 with 139 grain bullets and it's not punishing at all to me.. I shoot 45-70 405 gr, 375hh 260 gr, 358 norma mag 200 gr, 338 RUM 250 gr. Those are the heavy kickers. I would encourage you to start your shooting day with a light weight kicker, something that is fun for you. Move on to the heavier kicking rifle near the end of your shooting. If you only have that rile, you still need a light kicker to develop good shooting ability. Shoot as little as 3 shots to maybe 10 per range trip. All of those rifles I listed shoot great, I never shoot more than about 10 rounds with any of them during a range day. Other wise bad habits develop for even me.
Right on, appreciate the insight. I bought a Tikka t3x Superlite in 308 for that reason. Easy to get ammo, fun to shoot and I can shoot more with it, and practice form. Working with 165gr factory ammo on this one. I shoot 178gr ELDX for elk and it definitely packs more of a punch on the recoil side so I'm gonna practice more with the lighter grain bullets. I'll hunt with this moving forward but when the kids are old enough I may pass it down to them and hunt with the 7 again.

I'm not a big guy, 5'7" 160 lbs, and I do think I've been flinching with the 7mm rem mag recoil. Owned this rifle for 5 years but really went to the range only once or twice a year with it, usually a month before hunting season, so not enough practice with it for sure. It came with an aftermarket recoil pad, and was practicing with 168gr Barnes bullets - 20 shots in I'm done. Then moved down to 150gr Hornady Superperformance (still packs a wallop as those are fast loads).

The more research I do on shooting the more I realize what I've been doing wrong. You live and you learn! I think when I pick the 7 back up again to shoot, I'll start with cooler loads and lower grain to get more comfortable.

I am 5'7" also was in the 160 lb range for years now 170. I don't think size matters in how we as individuals feel or handle recoil. It's not one is better than another it's just how we feel about it. On the range I have had large guys tell me how they hate to shoot the 12ga with 00 buck and smaller folks not care.
I want to mention I also have a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm wby mag. I shoot heavier bullets in it. 160 nosler and it's not bad at all. Great accuracy to 300 yds, that's as far as I have shot it. It has the same decelerator recoil pad as the Ruger. They are a great pad. Much better than any factory pad. The Weatherby has 3 more advantages a big muzzle brake, a 26 inch barrel and it's a varmint weight. Add the large scope and it's not really a carry in woods rifle. When fired nearly all felt recoil is eliminated, the muzzle has hardly any upward jump. I am going to try 168 nosler long range bullets and those 178 ELDX also for elk. I haven't located any of those Hornady bullets or proper powder yet for those.

Seabeeken

Bearcat
A guy let me fire his 460 Weatherby back about 1980ish. I weighed about 150 then, 6'3" and it rock me back. Wouldnt care to do it again. It put a nice dent in a 1" thick armor plate chicken.