Bore snakes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I've never used a bore snake, so picked up a .22cal snake this morning thinking it might be worth a try. Open up the box to take a look at it and there is NO WAY am I going to drag this weapon of mass bore destruction thru the barrel of anything, and especially not my .22Mag RPR! The thing was impregnated with very sharp wires sticking out of it that would do horrible damage to a perfectly good bore. Wasted money, and it went immediately in the trash. Whoever invented this monstrosity should have it pulled thru their entire intestinal tract from mouth to rectum. :mad::devilish:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Those 'dastardly' sharp wires are much 'softer' than barrel steel. I use pull throughs often especially during hunting season and/or a monthly drag through on the UTV rifle. If you shoot a $1K custom barrel, then maybe you should not use a bore snake but then again, the bore snake makers aren't really targeting that use demographic.
From my experience, the scrubbing action of a pull through is less effective than a bore mounted brush and patches. This would be an indication that the 'brushy area' of a pull through isn't likely to cause damage.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Post a brand name of the POS so the rest of us learn something.
Thanks

GBnJo5B.jpg

Say's Made in Mexico on the back side.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Those 'dastardly' sharp wires are much 'softer' than barrel steel. I use pull throughs often especially during hunting season and/or a monthly drag through on the UTV rifle. If you shoot a $1K custom barrel, then maybe you should not use a bore snake but then again, the bore snake makers aren't really targeting that use demographic.
From my experience, the scrubbing action of a pull through is less effective than a bore mounted brush and patches. This would be an indication that the 'brushy area' of a pull through isn't likely to cause damage.

You do what you want. I'm not digging this out of the trash. I don't use wire brushes either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, looked at Hoppe's site and it looks like those are some kind of bronze brush. While harder than most brass it would still be about
1/2 the hardness of any steel you're likely to encounter in a barrel. If you had an absolutely mirror finish on the bore I could see it might take a bit of shine off. Just a maybe slight possibility on a almost perfect bore. There are no doubt gentler methods of cleaning.
From the initial post I was envisioning maybe a cross between a metallic porcupine and a clothesline.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thanks for the reply, looked at Hoppe's site and it looks like those are some kind of bronze brush. While harder than most brass it would still be about
1/2 the hardness of any steel you're likely to encounter in a barrel. If you had an absolutely mirror finish on the bore I could see it might take a bit of shine off. Just a maybe slight possibility on a almost perfect bore. There are no doubt gentler methods of cleaning.
From the initial post I was envisioning maybe a cross between a metallic porcupine and a clothesline.

Other people have asked me why I don't use metal brushes or similar metallic things in the bore.

This will explain why, instead of me trying to cover it here. The following about 2 hours of technical video and explanation.

Scroll down on the playlist and watch Parts 37 thru 45:

KIR

Single-Sixer
I've never used a bore snake, so picked up a .22cal snake this morning thinking it might be worth a try. Open up the box to take a look at it and there is NO WAY am I going to drag this weapon of mass bore destruction thru the barrel of anything, and especially not my .22Mag RPR! The thing was impregnated with very sharp wires sticking out of it that would do horrible damage to a perfectly good bore. Wasted money, and it went immediately in the trash. Whoever invented this monstrosity should have it pulled thru their entire intestinal tract from mouth to rectum. :mad::devilish:
SO...what do you use to clean out the barrel of your firearm?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
SO...what do you use to clean out the barrel of your firearm?
It's more about the how and why than the what. But, I'll use a nylon brush, Hoppes #9, and patches after a 100 or more rounds. In between that, just a dry patch to push out powder residue if necessary. The objective is to remove as little barrel material as possible once the barrel has reached coppering equilbrium, as the video link I posted explains in great detail.

That said, everyone has their own process and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. So this will be my last post on this subject.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Interesting. Usually use the cotton bore swabs with a squirt of CLP or Hoppes added. follow up with another pass of a dry one. Snug enough fit to do a good job on my R/A 22 magnum.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Well they always sounded amazing with all the cleaning surface they contain. Got a couple I bought for my centerfire. Have to run a patch after using a Snake and see if I get more crud out.

kmoore

Buckeye
I have several and carry them hunting, caliber specific to what I am shooting. Down side is they might not clear a bore of a small obstruction as a steel rod would. but they are small light weight, fit in a backpack. I have a cleaning rod and cleaner at camp if needed. My testing was done years ago when they 1st came out. I felt that they don't do as good a job as a steel rod with patches and brushes of either nylon or copper. I use several types of brush material depending on what I am cleaning.

KIR

Single-Sixer
In a few manuals that I have of various firearms, it says that about THREE patches ought to do the trick to cleaning out a barrel. I usually find that it takes a lot more until there is no residue on a patch. How many times/patches do you use through a handgun/long rifle???

A tip on using bore snakes and pull throughs, thread the string from the muzzle to the chamber and pull from the rear end. Less chance of wear at the muzzle. If you pull from the front end, the string is under tension and will wear away where it makes contact. None of us will pull exactly centered time after time.

louiethelump

Buckeye
LOL! I have enjoyed this thread. The humor for me, is that I don’t shoot well enough that IF the bore snake changed the steel bore of a modern manufactured weapon, I would be able to tell. (Just me here)

IF I were a bench rest rifle shooter OR shooting a classic old rifle made by world famous rifle barrel maker Pope or whoever, using soft steels I might see things different, or if I were “super sniper” saving the world from 1000 yards. (my short time as police sniper in a Florida City only required 1” at 100 yards as no way would a longer shot ever be approved in the dense population of west coast Florida)

The OP loves his rifles and it is certainly no harm to me if anyone does whatever they please.

I found it all amusing and wanted to thank you all for the thread. It is a great nation when this kind of discussion is what is important to us. We are truly blessed.

Latest posts