Bore Guide for a No.1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave H

Bearcat
Can any of you recommend a good cleaning rod bore guide for a No.1? I contacted Mike Lucas, but he only makes guides for bolt action rifles. I didn't see anything on Sinclair's website for No.1s in anything but .17 and .204 caliber. What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance!

DGW1949

Hunter
I use a conventional steel rod in conjunction with one of those cone-shaped bore guide thingies for cleaning the bore of every gun I own. Been doing it that way for years.

DGW

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Sinclair Int'l carries there, this one is for 308 family cartridges, but they have others as well

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/rod-guides/bore-guides/single-shot-action-guides/ruger-1-rifle-guides/sinclair-single-shot-guide-308-and-30-06-family-prod34196.aspx

coach

Hunter
I've read that dirt and grit on an aluminum rod can have an abrasive effect over time.
Not sure how true it is, but my long rods are steel, except for a carbon fiber coated one.

DGW1949

Hunter
coach said:
I've read that dirt and grit on an aluminum rod can have an abrasive effect over time.
Not sure how true it is, but my long rods are steel, except for a carbon fiber coated one.

I've read that for years, and I understand the theory behind it. That said though, if one is allowing the rod to contact the bore, he is doing something wrong, so eventualy it won't matter what kind of rod he's been using.

Me personaly, I never push a patch or brush into the bore of a rifle. I pull them through from the chamber end while using a guide at the muzzle end. If ya do that, the rod don't flex and rub, regardless of what it's made of.

DGW

Latest posts