Bore diameter of Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tlowry

Bearcat
2nd post here. I read in an article somewhere that said the single-six barrels were bored for the 22 magnum bullet and that accuracy suffered when firing LR ammo. Were the Bearcats done the same and/or did Ruger ever produce a dedicated LR single action revolver. The article did go on to say that a person could try different ammo, as ammunition varied slightly and a person might find a brand that gave better accuracy. I have a 6.5" blue SS and love it. Any thoughts on this.

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
the old bearcats were just LR, single sixes made I believe pre 59, before the convertibles were made, had bores for just LR. new bearcats, I believe, have slightly larger bores, since some convertables were made at the begining, this would explain the difference in accuracy between my old and new bearcats anyway.

Jimmy

tlowry

Bearcat
Thanks guys, flatgate did you check before and after on any handguns? This definitely worth a try. My son had about talked his self out of buying a Single-Six Hunter because what we had read. I'm going to direct him to this post and talk to him about it. He is now leaning toward a SW M-41 7". But he wanted a revolver. He doesn't like the SW M-17, I don't know why. But I have a 6.5" blue Single Six that this is worth a try on. It actually shoots good enough for me now, but we just like tinkering with stuff. Nothing stays stock around our house very long. I'd still be interested in hearing from others who have an idea. Like the year or serial # of the early Bearcats that were LR only. Thanks

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've not slugged the bores on any of my shooters. The Bearcats appeared in '58 and were dropped in '73. Over 200,000 Bearcats and Super Bearcats were made.
The New Bearcat, with an extra cylinder in .22 mag. appeared in '83. Around 1,000 were shipped before Ruger recalled the .22 magnum cylinders. The New Bearcat has a serial number of 93-XXXXX.

Personally, I believe the debate over bore size vs. accuracy is a moot point.
The soft lead .22 LR projectiles obturate and fill the bores.

JMHO,

flatgate

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
MY NM Bearcat will put 22LR and 22SHORT ammo in the same hole at 40 yards dead on the sights. It will also register 22LR velocities higher than any 22LR pistol I have ever chronographed [and that would be hundreds of 'em....NOT to even mention higher velocities than several 22LR rifles I put it up against... ] If you think I am kidding ask John Taffin as it just happened to be his chronograph we used that day when the numbers were 125 to 150fps faster than his 5 1/2" flatgate, his 6 1/2" Single Six SS, and his 6 1/2" Bisley model 22. WE WERE ASTONISHED !!!

the bearats and Super bearcats, from 1958 till the end in 1972/3 were .222 " diameter of the bore ( nominal). The new models after 1993 from what I was told, was/are, the same diameter, one of the issues with pressure??...would have to slug and measure one of the wifes 'nm' convertibles one of these days..............( if she'd let me...............) :roll:
would "wonder" why they would change them, then change them 'back; after a run of say 1400 guns??? hhhmmm.............

SAA

Bearcat
flatgate":3l18530w said:
I've had good luck with Paco's Accurizer tool.

Click Here.

flatgate
+1
Well actually not the real accurizer tool but a home made copy of it. :oops:
I did a little testing with my NM Single-Six (with a 3" barrel) shot it at 25meters from a sandbag and got 1½-2" groups at best, with "accurized" ammo the best groups shrunk down to 1".

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WHAT !!!?? YOU RIPPED OFF PACO KELLY'S DESIGN ??? You may expect to see dark cars anytime from now on pull up in front of your home. They will be from INTERPOL....Adios amigo....

Hey, I ripped off flatgate's "trigger return spring plunger adapter block thingie" and haven't seen any black cars.

Maybe they don't have black cars in Wyoming, ya think?

;) ;) ;)