Boot question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ranger

Bearcat
I have two pair of tecovas boots going on two years. Softest leather I've ever experienced on a boot. My feet are probably a little wide for length. The brown squared toe wide pair is extremely comfortable. The pointed toe normal size feels a little tight. In fact, I almost sent them back to get wider pair; but they've since broken in.

I think double h is probably a less dressy, more durable boot for most things. The tecovas are probably a more dressy, more comfortable boot.

The tecovas boot socks are the best socks I've worn. If you get their boots, get some socks too.

Doons

Bearcat
Big fan of Tecova’s (2 pair), particularly the Goat skin pair. They are my kickers and riding boots when I wander to my daughters and let one of her horses take me for a ride. I also have a couple pair of Ariat’s … also very comfortable. I’ve had Justin in the past and Tony Lama…. They were great boots too.

i ride the mare on the left…. The mare on the right isn’t fond of me and won’t let me get in the saddle… she has no problem taking an apple out of my hand but she is having none of me riding her. knew a couple girls like that in my youth but that’s a different discussion…🙄

DA027E75-E5DE-48B6-81AB-4EE1DE2B4855.jpeg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Dan Post Boots are mostly still made in USA. I think in Tennessee. I wear them every day. Uppers/Leather will last three years or so. I do have to have the heals resoled a couple times a year.

I have one pair of Dan Post El Paso boots. I contacted Dan Post about getting another pair and was told then that they had not made any boots in the US in eleven years, this about five years ago. Dan Post was the successor to the famous Acme brand of cowboy boots.

You have the heels resoled?

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have two pair of tecovas boots going on two years. Softest leather I've ever experienced on a boot. My feet are probably a little wide for length. The brown squared toe wide pair is extremely comfortable. The pointed toe normal size feels a little tight. In fact, I almost sent them back to get wider pair; but they've since broken in.

I think double h is probably a less dressy, more durable boot for most things. The tecovas are probably a more dressy, more comfortable boot.

The tecovas boot socks are the best socks I've worn. If you get their boots, get some socks too.

As to socks, I wear those Haines Gold Toe over the calf socks from Jacques Penne (J.C. Penny). Wearing boots has the advantage that I don't have to worry about matching my socks to my jeans, or even each other.

And, my cardiologist uses my boot-wearing as a sign of my good health.

Bob Wright

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Not trying to change the subject but what about work boots? Do any of these good made in America Boot companies make good work boots?
Redwing makes some of their models in the US still. I wore the 1159 model for years. In fact I had just bought a new pair just prior to my covid inspired retirement. I had planned to work another couple of years. Actually a good looking boot. I should drag them out for daily wear.

Johnny-Baseball

Bearcat
I've owned several brands of boots, both riding and walking styles. One that I truly appreciated was HH. Why? They were the only bootmaker I could find that stitched a smooth cover over the welt (on the inside of the barrel). That welt cover prevented the welt from chaffing my calves and thus allowed me to wear socks that were more comfortable than the socks that were required to protect from welt chaffing.

Doons

Bearcat
One final question...do the Tocavas sizes correspond to other boot sizes. Such as, I wear a 9D Lucchese. Would a 9D Tecovas be the same?
I would guess yes but just a guess. Depending on the type of shoe, I wear a 12 or 12 1/2. All my current boots (Tecova’s and Ariat) are sized at 11 1/2 and fit perfectly.

Tecovas are easy to return via internet purchase. I ordered a pair of calf skin in 11 1/2 and they felt big. Contacted them, got a return label sent to me. I did an exchange as I really like the look and feel of the Earl model. A week later I received the new pair of 11 1/2’s and they fit as expected. Tecovas had no problem with me exchanging for the same size for a fit issue…. They also offer a 10% discount to vets…. Nice…..

Last edited:

HW11

Single-Sixer
I have some. Very comfortable to me. I wear some type "cowboy" boot everyday, either work boot or dress boot. I like them a lot and so far seem durable. I think they run just a little large for size compared to my other boots.

Latest posts