BOND ARMS DERRINGERS - Snake Slayers, Ranger - Got One???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
HELP PLEASE!!!

I've looked around and I've not seen much listed recently on the Bond Arms "Derringers" as it relates to the opinions of their construction, experience with durability, recoil, practicality, different barrels, etc.

I've seen the Snake Slayer 3.5", the Snake Slayer 4.25", as well as the Ranger 4.25". I've noted these because of their "Extended Grips" which really make a difference when considering the size of my hands.

Here are a few questions that I have for those of you who can reflect and respond: (When responding, please provide which BA revolver you own)

1.) What is the recoil like between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels? Is it really measurable?

2.) What is the overall rating and thoughts on the 45 Colt / 410 barrel? What is the maximum effective distance that you've been able to note thus far with the 410 round (and which 410 shot were you using)? How did the 45 Colt round handle?

3.) Trigger guard make a big difference? I know it is mainly a personal preference, but just curious what most are preferring out there.

4.) What type of holster carry options are you using with your Bond Arms Derringer of choice? IWB, OWB, Driving Concealed Holster style,etc.?

5.) Carry extra shells / rounds with you? If so, how do you carry them (speed strips, loose, belt strip, holster with extra round loops, etc.)?

6.) Overall rating of Bond Arms service and response times on any issues that you may have had with your BA revolver?

7.) Feel free to share any other thoughts, observations, issues, or complaints that you have on these interesting little pocket canons.

Thank you for your time and consideration in sharing here.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Hello,

Provided some insight to your prior questions below...hope this helps :

1.) What is the recoil like between the 3.5" and the 4.25" barrels? Is it really measurable?

MD - I wouldn't know a comparison between the two barrel lengths, but with the 45 Colt, the recoil is crisp in the SnakeSlayer IV. It also has the extended grip.

2.) What is the overall rating and thoughts on the 45 Colt / 410 barrel? What is the maximum effective distance that you've been able to note thus far with the 410 round (and which 410 shot were you using)? How did the 45 Colt round handle?

MD - Have not yet shot .410 shells in it...mostly load it with 45 Colt shot shells or 45 Colt bullet cartridge. The 45 Colt shot shells pattern very effectively, not spreading too much, at the 7 - 12 ft ranges that it would likely be used for.

For the 45 Colt bullet accuracy...yes, it has a 4" barrel length, but keep in mind the rifling is probably only about 2", or a little less, at the muzzle end of the barrel. So, may not shoot as accurate at long distances as a standard, fully rifled 4" barrel.

For my intended purposes, it is most always loaded with 45 caliber shot shells.

3.) Trigger guard make a big difference? I know it is mainly a personal preference, but just curious what most are preferring out there.

MD - Yes...I like having the trigger guard on the SnakeSlayer IV...it is also easily removeable should you want to go without it.

4.) What type of holster carry options are you using with your Bond Arms Derringer of choice? IWB, OWB, Driving Concealed Holster style,etc.?

MD - I bought the holster from Bond Arms (OWB)...their holster prices are a bit expensive, but it's quality constructed and fits the derringer perfectly.

5.) Carry extra shells / rounds with you? If so, how do you carry them (speed strips, loose, belt strip, holster with extra round loops, etc.)?

MD - Right now, carrying loose or in the plastic case they come in...but looking to get some belt strip or something to more efficienrlty carry them.

Regards,

MD

1. Never shot a 4.25 barrel I doubt if there would be a significant difference.

2. My .410 the hull almost sticks out of the end after it's fired. effectiveness is close range and more recoil than the 45.

3. I have no trigger guard and haven't fired one with. The trigger pull is substantial but you get use to it. You have to mean it to discharge a round.

4.I Carry mine in my pocket. Bond arms has some on there site a real neat one goes on your belt and carries horizontally looks good but no experience with it.

5.In my pocket

6.Bond Arms IMO is the Ruger of derringers built like tanks I doubt if you'll ever need service.

7.I love em a real FUN gun I don't carry it for personal protection but rarely go shooting without it in my pocket. I shoot cowboy loads close range a little different to shoot take a lot of practice to get consistent. Got to keep track of which barrel is in battery cause it does make a difference. 410's have more recoil should be good for snakes I haven't shot one not many here in Maine just harmless grass snakes. I love it if you buy one I don't think you'll regret it.

Hope this helps ps

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
Thank you for your replies and taking the time to offer your insights and experience.

I just bought the Snake Slayer 4 and I must say - I love it!!! IMHO, I do not notice much of a noticeable difference at all between the 45 and the 410 loads. It is a fiery little canon and the recoil is definitely manageable. I am glad I picked it up and that it is among my family firearms.

I also picked up an ankle rig and a neat IWB holster for it. I wouldn't mind the BA horizontal rig - they are nice, but indeed a bit pricey.

Happy Shooting~
:lol:

Colorado_Bisley

Bearcat
Picked up a Snake Slayer 3 1/2" barrel with the 3" chamber a few days ago and shot it yesterday. It's important to do some pattern tests before carrying for self defense.

Recoil wasn't bad with lead or jacketed .45 Colt reloads (about 900-950 fps). Recoil was about the same with some 2 1/2" Federal #4 birdshot .410 loads as well as some 3" Winchester #7 1/2 loads. Recoil was NOT fun with Winchester 2 1/2" 000 Buck (3 pellet) loads. A 3" version of that load (OOO Buck w/5 pellets) would hurt like heck!

Some notes:
-Be careful shooting birdshot at close range to the target. Some of the shot will ricochet back. Wear eye protection and try to have a soft backstop.
-.45 Colt loads aren't stabilized by 1/2" of rifling and will start to keyhole at about 10-12 feet, which is where I did all my shooting.
-.410 Buckshot loads seemed to put two of the pellets through the same hole. Pattern width was very inconsistent at 10-12 feet.
-The .410 shot loads spewed shot everywhere and would not reliably kill a snake at 10-12 feet. Lots of open space.
-CCI brand .45 Colt shot loads (with the blue plastic shot cup) did amazing at 10-12 feet. This is the load for shooting a snake through a .45 Colt/.410 gun. A snake would have had a bad day with this load. It was way, way superior to the .410 shot loads.

For self defense I would undoubtedly use a lighter weight hollowpoint .45 Colt load. The .410 000 buckshot load wouldn't be too bad, but penetration with heavy clothing might be an issue.
For snakes the CCI load is the hands down winner. I can't say I was really impressed with any of the .410 shot loads I tried.
I just picked up a box of the new Winchester PDX410 loads with the disks and buckshot and will give them a try.