Bolt handle movement?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vllyby

Bearcat
I was restocking my Ruger M77 MKII and had some clearance problem with the trigger and each time I reassembled it I would dry fire it. Thats when I noticed the bolt handle rising a very small amount each time it was fired. I dont know that it does this when live firing it. Does anyone know the cause of this?

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I have noticed that on M77 Mark IIs before, including one of mine.
It didnt' seem to increase over time so I didn't worry about it but
like you, I don't know if it did that while shooting it for real or not.
I suspect its some interaction between the 3 position safety and the
sear, remember the Ruger safety just mimics the old Model 70 one
but is mounted on the bolt body not on the bolt shroud as is the M70.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Years ago in some shooting magazine I read that if there's bolt movement when dry firing that signified something wasn't quite "perfect" with the fit of the bolt and receiver. Now this guy was talking about top of the line custom rifles and what made it "perfect" so I doubt if it would pertain to run of the mill factory/stock rifles. I think the bolts on ALL my factory rifles regardless of maker have a bit of movement on dry firing and I'm certain it doesn't mean a thing in regard to how the rifle shoots as a hunting rifle. Perhaps on a highly refined target rifle maybe. I wouldn't worry about it as I think it's just a symptom of a mass produced factory rifle. Enjoy your rifle.

The Preacher

Pinecone

Blackhawk
vllyby, The "Preacher" is right on the money. "If" your bolt has a slight movement when it is "locked" down then you "will" have a slight movement when the gun is fired! It's simply the spring tension transfering to the bolt body in a confined space. As said above, regular factory mass produced rifles do not have the "tight" fit of custom made rifles........................Dick :wink:

vllyby

Bearcat
Thanks to everone who answered with info. Now I know its nothing dangerous. This is one great forum. Thanks again Vllyby