Bolt action .223's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Well the .22 bug has bit me pretty bad.
I have fallen hard for my new .22 magnum bolt action. I LOVE IT!
Nothing recoil, but much funner to shoot than a .22 LR.
At least it feels like I am shooting a gun and not a pellet rifle.

So next up, thinking of buying a bolt action .223.
Actually thinking of trading an older stainless mini 14 for a bolt

Any suggestions on a bolt action .223 that would be a good swap
value wise? New or used, just a quality bolt .223 that would cost around what a used mini would cost?
100_0457-1.jpg

theavrin

Bearcat
That new Model 77 Hawkeye compact in 223 seems like a sweet rifle and I would think that the value on a Mini 14 in good shape would be a good match.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
That hawkeye is a nice looking gun. I will definitely keep my eye
out for one if someone is open for a trade.
My mini is an older series 183(I think) stainless in a Butler folder in
just about perfect condition.
That would seem like a good trade for me.
Might be tough finding a .223 one for trade, but it's a place to start. thanks.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I had a stevens 200 chambered in .223. It was a good gun. Accurate and all. I payed $300 out the door for it new. I shoot that gun and my AR at silouette targets at 300 yds and while I was using just 55 grain bullets I got a lot more drift from wind that guys who shoot heavier grain bullets in larger calibers. If I were you I'd go with a .243 or a .270. I suppose you could have a .223 rifle and have the throat reamed so it would accept longer heavier bullets, but why pay more money for 77 grain .223 when you can buy 100 grain plus .243 or .270 right off the shelf at walmart. I love the .223 in my AR, but in a bolt gun I'll pass. unless you just want to shoot 55 gr fmj cheap ammo you'll pay the same for quality ammo whether it's 308 or .223 so why bother with .223 in a bolt gun. Just my two cents.

Cholo

Staff member
I have an old .223 Rem. Model 788 that will stack them at 100yds. It's their El Chepo model, long discontinued, but could be good trade bait. It's the most accurate centerfire rifle I own and a great bang for the buck. Not sure what they're bringing now on the used market.

hpman66

Hunter
Depending on what type of shooting you will be doing, you might want to look at a Savage Bull Barrel with the Accutrigger. They are about the only ones that have a faster 1:9 twist so that you can shoot the heavier bullets(about 68 to 75 grainers). The Accutrigger is real nice too. Savage also makes a sporter weight rifle in .223.

wwb

Hunter
hpman66":n9ipejjs said:
Depending on what type of shooting you will be doing, you might want to look at a Savage Bull Barrel with the Accutrigger. They are about the only ones that have a faster 1:9 twist so that you can shoot the heavier bullets(about 68 to 75 grainers). The Accutrigger is real nice too. Savage also makes a sporter weight rifle in .223.

+1

My Savage 12FV will shoot a 3/8" 5-shot group. It works pretty well with 69 grain boattails, but the 60 grain flat base bullets perform the best. I bedded mine in a Boyd's stock an added a 6-18X50 scope. Since it's very barrel-heavy, I bored a 3/4" hole about 3" deep in the butt and filled it with lead shot... improved the balance considerably, but it sure ain't a carryin' rifle - it's a little over 13 lb. As mentioned, they also make sporter weight rifles.

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned, the Rem 788 is a tackdriving bolt gun. I've owned them in .222 & .223. Both were excellent. Any Rem, Win, Ruger bolt gun should be excellent.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Weatherby, Browning and CZ also make bolt .223's which seem to win a lot of praise.

Jim

hpman66

Hunter
Whatever gun you choose, be sure to check out the rate of twist if you intend to shoot the heavier bullets. The 1:9 is about the minimum for heavier bullets. Some of the varmint rigs can even go to a 1:7 twist. The only snag with the heavier bullets(beyond 68 to 69 grainers) is that it will be a single shot proposition as the overall length of the cartridge gets too long for the magazine well and won't feed. The trade off is that you get better accuracy and less wind drift with heavier bullets. More than likely your most accurate loads will be hand loads--and thats about true with any rifle. One more thing, if you choose an older rifle, make sure that you can easily get spare parts to keep it running. Once a rifle is off of the market parts get harder to come by. I AM NOT RUNNING DOWN THE 788, Fact is, the 788 in 22-250 was legendary for it's accuracy and low cost at the time. I've had a couple and they are very good/accurate guns. But if you shoot it a lot, parts wear/breakage come with the territory.

I googled .223, heavy bullets and got a lot of hits. Here is one that was relevent:

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62910

QB

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a M77 MKII stainless compact (I prefer short barrels). Haven't been able to shoot it yet but it's a gorgeous gun. I went with the older M77 MKII rather than a Hawkeye because I like the stainless on the MKII models.

I'm going to take the scope rings off and install a rail with an Aimpoint H-1 Micro sight but haven't found the rail I want yet.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

M77MKIIa.jpg

M77MKII.jpg