Bob Wright on slang.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I learned to use Sir, Ma'am, Mr. and Miss'es and a lot of other proper terms, from the Nuns at Catholic schools.
These things I learned from my mom, dad, and grandad. Of course Ma'am is actually 'slang' for Madam (which this post is actually about). The nuns taught me reading, writing, arithmetic, and life.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Okay, we’ve about done SOS to death. Let’s talk Spam. Love the stuff but man what a sodium content. I’d have it for breakfast daily but my blood pressure would rebel.

So many ways to use it😊
I believe they make a low salt version. I am also a fan of Spam! It gets a bad rap from many.

eveled

Hunter
My mother makes cold spam sandwiches with butter. Lol.

I like it better cooked. A friend of mine prefers fried spam with his eggs over any other breakfast meat.

I cant judge him my favorite is chicken livers and eggs.

I’m afraid with the cost of living skyrocketing. We will all be eating more canned meats and offal

I prefer an actual canned ham over spam. Glazed and baked with a can of coke.

Last edited:

gundog5

Bearcat
I wonder if SOS is still served on military bases? I bet it is not, due to health concerns. Any active duty members out there can let us know.

I wonder if SOS is still served on military bases? I bet it is not, due to health concerns. Any active duty members out there can let us know.
Looks like it lives on. :)
It's so popular at Fort Lee that SOS often takes top billing over culinary delights like lobster tail, according to Hanson. He said that veteran's groups who tour the base are taken to a mess hall and served creamed beef on toast made using the recipe in the 1944 Army recipe book, TM 10-412. Again, many veterans tell Hanson it their favorite meal while in the Army.

And SOS remains popular among soldiers today. While deployed to Haiti during Operation Restore Democracy, Born said the cooks of his unit served creamed beef on toast. Later, when he deployed to Bosnia, the cooks again served creamed beef.

It's so popular that Army Center for Excellence, Subsistence, located on the Fort Lee post, recently said that creamed beef will be offered every day to soldiers in Army dining halls. The new menu standards are designed to promote uniformity among the Army's dining facilities, according to a July 1999 Article in Government Food Service..

Chipped, Creamed and Minced Beef Recipes

Every military cookbook published since the start of the Nineteenth Century has a recipe for at least one SOS dish, including Chipped Beef, Creamed Beef or Minced Beef.

These recipes are offered as I found them in the cookbooks. They only thing I have done is to list the ingredients in a table for easier reading and to use standard abbreviations for weights and measures. Cooking instructions are as they are found on the original recipe.

Here's a selection:

gundog5

Bearcat
Looks like it lives on. :)
It's so popular at Fort Lee that SOS often takes top billing over culinary delights like lobster tail, according to Hanson. He said that veteran's groups who tour the base are taken to a mess hall and served creamed beef on toast made using the recipe in the 1944 Army recipe book, TM 10-412. Again, many veterans tell Hanson it their favorite meal while in the Army.

And SOS remains popular among soldiers today. While deployed to Haiti during Operation Restore Democracy, Born said the cooks of his unit served creamed beef on toast. Later, when he deployed to Bosnia, the cooks again served creamed beef.

It's so popular that Army Center for Excellence, Subsistence, located on the Fort Lee post, recently said that creamed beef will be offered every day to soldiers in Army dining halls. The new menu standards are designed to promote uniformity among the Army's dining facilities, according to a July 1999 Article in Government Food Service..

Chipped, Creamed and Minced Beef Recipes

Every military cookbook published since the start of the Nineteenth Century has a recipe for at least one SOS dish, including Chipped Beef, Creamed Beef or Minced Beef.

These recipes are offered as I found them in the cookbooks. They only thing I have done is to list the ingredients in a table for easier reading and to use standard abbreviations for weights and measures. Cooking instructions are as they are found on the original recipe.

Here's a selection:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
In line with the OP, keep in mind that SPAM is also a 'slang' contraction for "Spiced Ham". In the UK it is called "Specially Processed American Ham".

I believe there to be a difference between slang and an acronym. Words such as Radar and Zamak are acronyms that are perfectly acceptable in formal speech and/or print, while slang words are not. I believe Zamak is NOW even acceptable written as zamak, written with lower case letters.

Bob Wright

Last edited:
I believe there to be a difference between slang and an acronym. Words such as Radar and Zamak are acronyms that are perfectly acceptable in formal speech and/or print, while slang words are not. I believe Zamak is not even acceptable written as zamak, written with lower case letters.

Bob Wright

I believe there to be a difference between slang and an acronym. Words such as Radar and Zamak are acronyms that are perfectly acceptable in formal speech and/or print, while slang words are not. I believe Zamak is not even acceptable written as zamak, written with lower case letters.

Bob Wright
There is a 'slang' word associated with SPAM but won't be seen here.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Laughing here; Wondered how long it would take for someone to spot my "Military Abbreviation" for what the TRUE words really were and delete my post. There were loads of those around when serving in Osan AFB, Korea, both Army AND Air Force.

Latest posts