Bob Wright on slang.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That would mean that all the "really nifty" vocabulary I was taught in the army would render me, effectively speechless.
Which may not be a bad thing,.
Every culture I have been exposed to, had it's own slang. Granted much of it was aimed at Americans, and not very flattering!
I see nothing wrong with slang, as long as it isn't over done. It colors things up a bit..
Anyone that has ever been in the Service, regardless of branch, quickly learned a new language. Some of it WAS colorful.

KIR

Single-Sixer
I remember SOS. I discovered it, my last month in the AF. Never looked too appetizing to me and had never seen it served anywhere else, so I tried it out. Served hot on toast, was not too bad. I have not had it since though.

I remember SOS. I discovered it, my last month in the AF. Never looked too appetizing to me and had never seen it served anywhere else, so I tried it out. Served hot on toast, was not too bad. I have not had it since though.

Were you in THE AMERICAN AIR FORCE?????? We had it every morning and Midnight Meal on our SAC Base in the 60s. Real SOS is made with dried chip beef and that is how my Mother made it. The USAF made it with hamburger which I like better since it isn't as salty tasting.
We had some hamburger SOS last week. Gooooood stuff. It is about the same as biscuits and gravy.

eveled

Hunter
My mother made it with canned chicken. It was ok. Not my favorite but ok.

We had a family of 5 stay with us briefly about 6 months as I recall.

The mother of the other family made SOS for supper. I dug right in and almost threw up! The other mother made hers with TUNA! When you are expecting chicken and get tuna it is not pleasant.

My sister could not stop laughing she knew what was in it, and wanted no part of it. Of course she didn’t warn me!

I wish my wife knew how to stretch a dollar the way those two ladies did. I doubt my kids would eat half of what I grew up on

Chief

Single-Sixer
When my millennial daughter and I go out to a restaurant when asked what she will have to drink she always responds with “diet”. It amazes me that EVERY service person knows what to bring.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My Mama taught me that to use slang was "common." Drinking a beverage from the bottle was "common." Saucer and blowing your coffee was "common." (But Dad did that at times.) An adult who went about in public with bare arms or legs was "common." Saying "ain"t" was "common."

My Mama and Dad were not too strict, but they sure did lay down the ground rules, which, if I obeyed them, everything went smoothly. And infraction of those rules brought dire results.

And, I'll tell y'all, I didn't want to be "common."

Bob Wright

My Mama taught me that to use slang was "common." Drinking a beverage from the bottle was "common." Saucer and blowing your coffee was "common." (But Dad did that at times.) An adult who went about in public with bare arms or legs was "common." Saying "ain"t" was "common."

My Mama and Dad were not too strict, but they sure did lay down the ground rules, which, if I obeyed them, everything went smoothly. And infraction of those rules brought dire results.

And, I'll tell y'all, I didn't want to be "common."

Bob Wright
You know when you think about it her use of the word "common" was a type of slang.

Were you in THE AMERICAN AIR FORCE?????? We had it every morning and Midnight Meal on our SAC Base in the 60s. Real SOS is made with dried chip beef and that is how my Mother made it. The USAF made it with hamburger which I like better since it isn't as salty tasting.
We had some hamburger SOS last week. Gooooood stuff. It is about the same as biscuits and gravy.
The only place I ever saw chipped beef gravy on toast was on non- military mess halls. Everyone I was ever in served SOS as ground beef/gravy on toast.

Is this the stuff ?

Don't know why the link loos like that but seems to work Armour Dried beef. That stuff had enough salt in it to maybe keep forever. My Mom made it in some kind of white gravy and dumped it on toast.
Dave,
That's the stuff I don't remember if it is the same brand that my Mom used. I like SOS much better with hamburger.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
Just had some of the bacon flavored Spam. Not bad, but a long way from real bacon. With the way the economy's tanking I probably should get used to it. On a side note on SOS, my father (20 + years in the Marines) showed my mother how to make it like it was served to them. Chipped beef in white gravy on toast.

Okay, we’ve about done SOS to death. Let’s talk Spam. Love the stuff but man what a sodium content. I’d have it for breakfast daily but my blood pressure would rebel.

So many ways to use it😊
In honor of my Dad I will not talk or post about SPAM. My Dad would not allow the stuff in the house let alone on the table. Even though it was popular in the late 40s and 50s. He said the he ate enough of it while overseas in Italy during WWII to last a lifetime :)
I think it was one of the few canned meats at that time period along with chipped beef. We did eat quite a bit of canned Salmon with the bones.

In honor of my Dad I will not talk or post about SPAM. My Dad would not allow the stuff in the house let alone on the table. Even though it was popular in the late 40s and 50s. He said the he ate enough of it while overseas in Italy during WWII to last a lifetime :)
I think it was one of the few canned meats at that time period along with chipped beef. We did eat quite a bit of canned Salmon with the bones.
My mother made the canned salmon into patties, basically crackers and an egg. I still make them, they're a pretty good high protein snack and I don't mind them cold right out of the fridge. I usually add a touch of dill and cook them in olive oil.

Latest posts