Bob Sky knife - what do I have here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I'm a guy who carries a well worn six blade Victorinox Swiss Army knife that I found on the shore of a lake in Colorado in 1972. So not much of a knife guy. I have a few nice ones that sit in the safe but I'm not a blade aficionado.

About 5 years ago, I went to a local auction that had some guns and found this monster. I thought it might come in handy after running out of ammunition in the Zombie Apocalypse. I can't find a whole lot of information on it. I see that "Bob Sky" (Robert Hajovsky) was a custom knife maker out of Texas and that he died in 1999. But there doesn't seem to be much more on him or his knives online. There are a handful of pictures but nothing that looks quite like this one.

Any info on the knife or value would be appreciated. I can't recall exactly what I paid but I think $200-$225 plus the vig. Were all of his knives one-off designs or did he have standard models that he produced in multiples?

BobSky_1.JPG

BobSky_2.JPG

1chessiefan

Bearcat
Dear weaselmeatgravy,
I had Bob make a knife back in the late 1970s, early 1980s. He had a number of standard models. The knife he made for me was a mash up of two of his designs. I believe he continued to produce my design after he made mine. I believe his knives are collectible but do not get top dollar. Yours is very nice and really appeals to me. I think you probably got a deal on it but I would only be guessing if I put a value on it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

1chessiefan

Last edited:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Super nice! Love the polished blade. So many makers and models often hard to keep up. Seen quite a few very nice blades since we started.

keithteichman

Bearcat
Bob was my cousin. I live just down the street from the house he passed away in. I'd love to buy that knife. Willing to make you a hefty profit. Give me a price if you are interested

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Well, I wasn't really trying to sell it, but I reckoned if I did, I'd best be certain what I paid for it. So I contacted the auction house and after some struggling to nail down the sale date, they found it. I was way off in my guess above. I bought it in March 2017, and the hammer price was $450. Then add their 15% buyer's premium and 7% sales tax and I'm into it for $553.73.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
OK, so once I nailed down the date range, I was able to find the receipt. Turns out that I did not pay tax since I am a FFL with a resale tax exemption and bought guns at that auction as well. I keep gun receipts for accounting purposes. So I'm really only into it for $517.50.

BobSky_PurchaseReceipt.JPG

The auction house uses Invaluable for online bidding. Invaluable recorded the price even higher at $475 but that must have been a late online bid after the auction house dropped the hammer. Also, if you buy through Invaluable, the buyer's premium is 20% instead of 15%.

1657893828730.png

Last edited: