'Boat Paddle' synthetic skeleton stocks available anywhere?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
Toying with the idea of getting one of those stocks to tinker with (short action M77 Mark II), but wondering if they are still available anywhere?

TWalker

Bearcat
You can probably find one if you look for a used one. I have three Ruger rifles with that style stock, a .338 Winchester Magnum, a .223, and one in 7.62x39. I like everything about them but the non-detachable front sling attachment. If I see one for sale, I'll let you know.

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
You can buy sling kits to replace the non-detachable sling mounts with regular detachable ones:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0114GTSW10

makes it look like this (not mine):

GUN001.jpg

tang419

Bearcat
I just picked up my 3rd "paddle". I love this style, and plan to collect more :D

Top to bottom .338 Win Mag, .300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag

Ruger_Family.jpg

TWalker, Im jealous of the 7.62x39.

WRM

Bearcat
Highstandardguy":21cx6a4k said:
If you guys want to get rid of the 'white' on your stocks, rub them down with vasoline. I read that on one of the forums and it works.

Armorall works also.

texczech

Bearcat
I have one of these stocks {as pictured above} on a 243win SS. This is my primary stalking rifle and am wanting to lose weight on it. What would be the difference in weight between the conpact wood,full size wood, laminate and the boatpaddle? What would the value of the boatpaddle be used in execellent condition?
Kevin

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Weight difference is probably ounces. Laminate would be the heaviest. Balance might change a little. I don't know what they are going for but I can't imagine they are getting a premium. Those stocks were much maligned when they were standard based mostly on looks.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I own one on a 243 Win, but it's on sale at Gunrunners.com. Great little rifle, I just never shot it. The boat paddle is the lightest compared to walnut or laminate, but yeah, balance changes. Thing I noticed shooting them from the bench is the narrow little recoil pad on that narrow little stock. It fits right into the spot between the muscles and after 40 rounds you began to notice it.

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
I just sold a short action boat paddle stock a couple months ago for $50.00 plus shipping. I have never really liked them. I bought a used Ruger KM77RP MKII Stainless-Synthetic in .243. After I sold the boat paddle stock I bought a new style Ruger Synthetic Stock from Brownells and that is when my problems started. I am either going to have to have this new style Ruger Synthetic Stock bedded or I am going to end up replacing it with a Laminated Wood Stock. With the new style Ruger Synthetic Stock this rifle is so fussy about where and how the forend is rested to get it to shoot good groups it is hard to imagine.

Larry

CAPTDASH

Bearcat
I am glad I finally found a thread about my favorite rifles--Skeleton Stock rugers. I have been trying to find out what all calibers the SSR's were made in. I have a .280, .270, 30-06, & 223. I am looking at 2 oddballs if you will. I have found a guy with a 7.62x39 & a 6.5x55 swede(I think that is right). Both of these rifles appear to have black looking barrels, though that just may be the lighting and glare causing that in the digital pics. Just not sure. I have been worried that both were made up SSR's, but probably not. Is there any place or source of COMPLETE documentation on all the SSR's ever made?

I need a .243 & .308 in good shape. Shoot me a message if you want to part with one. I want ta 77/22 mag as well. I may just buy a new one though, as the used ones on the market are too high, not to buy new.

CAPTDASH

Bearcat
Do you guys consider the Skeleton Stock Rifles that were produced with blued barrels as having the same equity or value as those with SS barrels/receivers? I have found 2 that are both blued with skel stocks. They are a 7.62x39 & 6.5 x 55 swede. These were supposedly limited runs. Not sure whether to add blued guns to my collection in progress.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Values on these would vary greatly from one buyer to the next. I don't have my info handy about the skeleton stock/blued rifles right now but there were some very low numbers in some calibers not normally catalogued. I have a 7mm-08 in that config. and know the 35 Whelen and 264 Win Mag were in that run also and are pretty uncommon.

I talked to Chet15 about this once and I am thinking the 22-250 was the rarest with less than 40 made.

Does any of this help? I can dig out my paperwork one of these days and see what all I have on these.

CAPTDASH

Bearcat
rugerjunkie":3nt20tqp said:
Values on these would vary greatly from one buyer to the next. I don't have my info handy about the skeleton stock/blued rifles right now but there were some very low numbers in some calibers not normally catalogued. I have a 7mm-08 in that config. and know the 35 Whelen and 264 Win Mag were in that run also and are pretty uncommon.

I talked to Chet15 about this once and I am thinking the 22-250 was the rarest with less than 40 made.

Does any of this help? I can dig out my paperwork one of these days and see what all I have on these.

Yes this helps and confuses at the same time. I still must make up my mind if I want to stay SS or go blue on my next purchase. I wish would dig out your info.That would be great. Please post it or pm me with it. Thanks very much.

Latest posts