BNM-7 Ship Date (?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
I have a 7 1/2" .357 Maximum Blackhawk (s/n 600-00488) that I had lettered recently & the letter indicates a ship date of February 1993. Is this ship date possible? Or do you think Ruger Records made a mistake? Being that this model was discontinued after 1984, I think it's a typo error. When time permits, I will call Ruger Records to verify the ship date. Just thought I would ask the experts. Thanks in advance!

lmd

That kind of thing is possible if Ruger came across a gun in "the warehouse" several years after its contemporaries were shipped.

On occasion, the "early" numbers like yours were held back to satisfy the "subscription" situation, and yours may be one of those.

Your call to Ruger is the best bet. Be nice, everybody makes the occasional goof. Plus, there have been know to be mistakes in Ruger's records. Hard to believe, I know, but . . .

;)

lovemydals

Buckeye
Thank Ale-8(1)!

One more question;

Due to the problems encountered with cutting of the topstrap, did Ruger issue a recall on these revovlers? If so, I find it odd that they would ship this revolover ten years after it was made, knowing of the topstrap cutting problem. Speculations on my part. Any thoughts?

lmd

Don't believe they ever actually recalled them. I have heard that if you send one in for any kind of service whatsoever, you won't get it back. No personal experience with this.

Does seem a little strange they shipped it that late. It will be interesting to see what you learn from your next call to Ruger.

:D

Coogs

Maximum
488 is low enough to be a "subscription" #..........yet I have no knowledge that it belonged to any one. I do know of subscription #'s that are higher than 488, That being said................it was not unusual for "subscription" # guns to be assembled and/or shipped many days/weeks/years later than other guns in the same serial # range. Serial #32 was manufactured 1982, shipped 1987. 5 years. Recall???? your guesss is a good as anyones. Rumor has it that WBR fired someone pretty high up the food chain for offering a "buyback" to dealers.
Forcing cone degree was changed eliminating some of the problem. Light bullets, pushed too fast help destroy the Max..........as well as some know it all gun writers. Heavy bullets, at a modest speed, what the catridge was originally designed for, big rams @ 300, it does excellant!.
It is an excellant gun/cartridge if your going downtown, just stay heavy and slow, Coogs.

chet15

Hawkeye
The few guns that were sent back at the time, did get new barrels put on them. These had a barrel cone that went straight back to the cylinder, instead of being tapered.
But there aren't many.
Chet15

lovemydals

Buckeye
I called Ruger Records today to inquire about the ship date for my BNM-7 (s/n 600-00488) & was told it was Feb 1983 & not Feb 1993. Boo boo on their part & many apologies were offered. However, I told her it wasn't necessary. Mystery solved!

lmd

Latest posts