Blue Book - Just how accurate is it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JethroBodine

Bearcat
I inherited some really nice Ruger #1's (130 & 132 series) when my Dad passed away ten years ago and have come to realize that I just can't keep them all.

I'm trying to find what they are really worth, I'm not expecting to get top dollar for them but I don't want to give them away either.

I have done a lot of research on this forum and checked prices on Guns International, Gun Broker and Blue Book of Gun Values and found wild variations in prices with Blue Book having the lowest prices. So I'm wondering, in your experience, how accurate are the values listed in Blue Book? Are there any special features that might make the #1's more valuable than what's listed? I read in this forum that serial #'s 130-5000 and under have Douglas barrels and later guns have Wilson barrels. Are the Douglas barrels more desirable? From what I've seen most #1's have a lot of figure in the butt stock, which most of mine do, but there are some pretty plain stocks out there also. Blue Book doesn't add or subtract anything for wood.

Thank you for any advice or information you can give me.

My limited exposure to the Blue Book has left me with the feeling that the values given are somewhat out-of-date by the time the book is published and distributed. That said, the overall picture of the relative values seems fair even if not absolutely current.

The descriptions of condition are the feature I appreciate about the Blue Book.

All JMHO of course.

:)

pete44ru

Hunter

Welcome to the RF !

Please accept our condolences on your loss, even at this remove.

Next to actually placing the guns in an auction to find their true worth (what someone's willing to pay for one NOW), the next best way would be for you to surf various online guns-only auction websites (like gunbroker, gunsAmerica, gunauction, etc, etc) for other #1 rifles in the same model/chambering/condition of the one(s) you wish to sell.

Since auction "opening bids", "Buy it Now for" dollar amounts and unsold rifle's "price" are NOT values - they are merely what a particular seller would like to get, or THINKS it may be worth.

Ergo, surf only "SOLD" auctions to find out how much somebody's actually been willing to pay recently, not "whenever" ("I paid $500 for my Ruger #1", etc, etc).

Good Luck

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
The values they give are better than a year old. They low balled all of guns I have, so I do not waist my time looking at it.

Anther thought to consider . . .

The Red Eagle News Exchange's annual Price Guide put out by our own Chet15 presents "values" for various Ruger guns, leaning heavily on the Old Model single-actions. Chet15 circulates a detailed list of the guns to various serious Rugerphiles asking them what they would expect to pay another collector for a particular gun in pristine condition, throws out the extreme highs and lows, and gives the remaining average value. And every year we see some folks who claim these values are too high or too low. Why? Well, one reason might be that some folks are actually looking to buy while others are looking to sell. Understandable, I'd say. Might be some of the same at work with respect to the Blue Book prices, although I'll stick with my observation that the prices are not really current by the time of publication.

JMHO of course.

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
As a contributor as often as I can to the RENE,,, AND knowing that Chad sends this to the Blue Book,,, it does represent a reasonable assessment of values,,, according to what one collector will pay another. The issues arise in model variations,,, AND condition. PROPER grading is almost an art.
The best thing is to take the Blue Book, study the "Grading" section, and try hard to be HONEST. And to be fair,,, when pricing an item,, it's a good policy to grade down maybe one level to make sure you are being fair to the buyers.
But,,, in many firearms,,, and especially the No 1 rifles,,, there are a LOT of minor details that can & do affect the values quite a bit.
I'd study the RENE Reference Guide CLOSELY,, to see exactly what you have to be able to properly describe the No 1. And then use that as a guide to values.
The Blue Book is not a bad place to get a fair assessment IF<<< all the facts are correct.

JethroBodine

Bearcat
Thank you all for your responses and advice. I sent a PM to Chet15 to sign up for RENE.

I'm not knocking the Blue Book in any way, the amount of information is amazing and when you see just how many different makes and models were made over the years it's staggering.

Here's an example of what I've been running into. I have a Remington Model 700 VS in 17 Rem, Stainless Steel - no flutes, 26" barrel with a Black/Grey HS Precision stock. I have the box and all of the paperwork so I think I have all of the information available.

I couldn't find an exact match in Blue Book. The closest listing was $650 at 100% but it didn't list the 17 REM caliber. I did a internet search and found the exact model I have. It turns out Remington only made 250 of them and the Gun Broker asking price was close to $1500. I realize what you ask for and what you get are rarely the same but that much of a difference got my attention. I'm finding similar results with the #1's. I've even checked Classic Sporting Arms site and found his used prices a little higher than the 100% price in Blue Book.

Thanks again for all of the great advice!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I contribute to the knowledge base of the Blue Book. Off the top, there is no other source of this much information for less than $50, perhaps less if you "shop". Of course, there are buyers, sellers and wishers....... 8)

good info above and like any other publication subject to print time frames, and pricing by various folks, locales and areas of the country, not the same across the country,,,very good, very thorough as best as can be expected, do they get them all??? no, I just was looking for the Ruger 2002 NRA commemerative and it is not in there, and there are other makes and models, may be missing...go to them "on line" and it can be gotten there......'like I tell many people keep the pictures and learn "how" to judge the condition levels, and keep the back pages with the serial number info and makers info address and phone numbers,,,,,the prices change and may not be "current", but it is just a reference book,,,try and keep all that info in your head,,,ha.......great for buying "use" guns, new guns are always "on sale" these days, who pays "retail"......just like there is no reason to go out and buy one "every year", and you cannot find them "cheap" at 'Ollies' ,like Shooters Bible and Gun Digest.. 8) :roll: :wink:

JethroBodine

Bearcat
I emailed chet15 and have signed up to get the RENE subscription.
He suggested I ask here to see what a rough ball park value of them would be since he is more into the pistols than the rifles.
All of my #1's are 130 and 132 prefix and are in my opinion between 95-98%. They all have really nice figure in the butt stock and red pads. I do have some of the boxes also. Some are 200th Year but not all. Here are a couple of pictures. The first picture is a #1AB 270 cal 130-37XXX, the second is a #1B 22-250 cal 130-02XXX. I have some friends interested in some of them and am trying to come up with a fair price for both parties.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

1_B_270_132-01_2.jpg
1_22-250_130-37_1.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Well STALWARTS, LET THE DISCUSSION BEGIN: :D Today's retail suggested is in the $1800 arena, as I recall from a recent article, perhaps for a special run of "something". That said, please remember that todays #1 is a somewhat generically fit firearm and not built on the "one at a time" basis, but rather hand fitted as the ones you show. And, figured wood like these you share is uncommon and particularly when the forearm has figure matching the butt stock. I suggest that these guns should be at least $1400, perhaps more. They are different than today's #1 and have significant differences of a positive nature, including fit of stock and forearm, finish and overall appearance. To wit, they are worth more to us collectors, than the majority of today's build that I HAVE OBSERVED. btw, I AM NOT A CASUAL OBSERVER, HAVING OWNED SOME 75 IN THE PAST 35 YEARS. So, the rest of you chime in, please...........Also, Do not be buffaloed by the erroneous statement " Well, those are old guns and they were only $495 when originally purchased" 8) Here's my last, as an example of "one of those old guns": For example, I'll be happy to offer one of my #1A Light Sporters in 223 caliber, of which ONLY 107 were built in 1981. It will be more than $1800............... Splitz :wink:

JethroBodine

Bearcat
Hawkeye #28,

Thank you for the tips and useful information. A while back Cabelas had a run of #1's, if I remember correctly, ranging from $800 to $1000 depending on caliber and configuration. I looked at a couple of them and they definitely didn't have the fancy wood.

You have my Dad beat as to how many #1's you have. At one time he had over 40 but before he passed away he'd whittled it down to 24.

Being from Minnesota do you remember Gophers Shooters Supply? That was one of my Dad's favorite places to visit when we went back to the farm. He got to know the guys there so well that they'd let him look through their inventory to pick out the #1's with the prettiest wood.

Thanks again.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Glad to help in any manner possible. :) Yes, Gopher was really something! :wink: They had 3 SN in the Ruger Corporate assigned low SN Pgm! I often wonder where all those Gopher Rugers ended up? Never came across many when I started chasing this "stuff back in the early 70's............. Looking back down the old trail, I do wish I'd kept some of the #1's, especially the uncommon and "ones of very very few". SPLITZ

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Well, I must confess to owning 7 of the #40 serial numbered Rugers. This also includes a beautiful No.1 rifle in 6 MM. The rest are the earliest Ruger single actions and my very favorite, #0040 Standard Auto in the Salt Cod box. It has taken me over 25 years to find them, but they are all boxed and in pristine condition. I even have a book written about the family history and the business. Dean Purdie and I spoke frequently about his collection of Rugers, all serial numbered 40. Dean was a son of company founder, Clarence Purdie, owner of Gopher Shooting Supply in Fairbault, MN.
Brass Frame/Lee E

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Long ago and far away, I recall when the SN 40 gun PACKAGE(!) was initally offered on the LOWER center of the front page of the then tabloid size GUNLIST. Earlier, I'd met Dean Purdie when he was in Tucson and displaying his Bonanza shooting materials at Jensen's Custom Ammo, while attending the winter shotgun extravaganza. We had discussed Rugers but he'd not mentioned his SN 40 guns. When the ad broke I'd blown all my funds on the SN 28 package owned by the late Russ Wistler, so no go on the SN 40 package. For what it's worth, I later was told that the SN 40 guns went for something like dealer wholesale.... "Stuff" one never forgets......... 8) :roll:

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Mike, my collection of serial #40 guns has been a "labor of love". When I started this collection over 20 years ago, 2 digit guns were seldom offered for sale. But over time, several collectors have helped me by identifying the location of guns I did not own. My favorite, serial # 0040, Standard Auto, came from a construction equipment sale in the state of WA., complete with a Salt Cod Box. The #40 Hawkeye came from a large collection of Hawkeyes in AK! The #40, Ruger No.1 rifle is a mint condition 6 MM. Dean Purdie, original owner of the #40 guns, even sent me an autographed book about the Gopher Shooting Supply Company, started by his father Clarence Purdie. Dale Dalbotten was also very helpful putting me in contact with Dean Purdie when I needed more detail. I own about 10 copies of the Gopher Shooting Supply catalogs too. If anyone knows about any #40 Old Model, serial numbered Rugers, especially the Bearcat #40, feel free to contact me. Brass Frame/Lee E