Blue Angels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
if you live any were within driving distance of LaCrosse WI the Blues Angels are at the air show this weekend

https://www.airfest.com/

bogus bill

Hunter
The last time Theresa and I seen them by chance, was about ten years ago in Grand Junction Colorado.
we got a room right across the freeway and and got a free show.

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
I was lucky enough to get about 20 minutes of their practice show yesterday , I was in LaCrosse and heard and then saw them come around and head back up towards the airport , so when I got the wife and daughter picked up , we headed up state 35 to a pull out that's just above the airport

RSIno1

Hunter
bogus bill said:
The last time Theresa and I seen them by chance, was about ten years ago in Grand Junction Colorado.
we got a room right across the freeway and and got a free show.
We were at a Shelby convention in Ohio. The hotel we were using was the same one the families of the Thunderbirds was using. It was their rally point to circle and form up for the next part of their show. They train at Nellis in NV right next to the Las Vegas Speedway just about anytime you can see them training.
URXiReVl.png

7f6VcBUl.jpg

JoAobY8l.jpg

PH0xF1Fl.jpg

Those are class people. Not only the pilots but the ground personal as well. My son in law's brother was the Gunnery Sgt in charge of the maintenance crew. I got to meet a few of them. My son in law was somehow issued a flight suit and went with Fat Albert on it's JATO flight.

chm270

Single-Sixer
I am fortunate to be able to see the Lacrosse show (and practices) from my driveway.
The noise as they fly over is incredible.
There is one turn that one of them makes right in front of me and can't be more than 200' above the ground.

vito

Hunter
I know that it used to be very competitive to become one of the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. But I wonder if things have changed in today's military. I have little doubt that some senior officers have discussed how these flying teams could be made more "diverse", making sure that there is at least one Black, one Latino, one Asian-American, one woman (unless one of the other minority members is also female), one gay or lesbian, and one transgender pilot. But beyond that, since the Commander in Chief has now said that the BIGGEST threat to our national security is "climate change", I am truly surprised that these show teams have not been disbanded due to their huge carbon footprint. Maybe they will be replaced by electric aircraft, which is becoming a real thing.

The short answer NO. Son "The Navy Captain" was on the Admiral's Staff of "CNATRA" Chief of Naval Air Training Command that the Blues report to. He and the Admiral spent quite a bit of time in P'Cola going over safety and qualifications of the Pilots. In fact the CO of the Blues took himself off of the team because he felt he was not flying as he should.
OH yea Son could fly with the Blues while in P'Cola :D

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If anyone gets close to El Centro, CA during the winter, the Blues use that base for their off season home before they head to Pensacola. Sometimes the Thunderbirds come down from Nellis to join them.

6191651-edit.jpg

https://airshowstuff.com/v4/2021/usaf-thunderbirds-head-to-el-centro-for-joint-winter-training-with-blue-angels/

And for the skeptics, yeah, girls can fly, too! I saw FiFi fly twice, and you'd never know T-bird #3 was being driven by a woman!

https://www.nicolemalachowski.com/about/

The Blues' Fat Albert was driven "by a girl" for a while, too. There are numerous videos of USMC Major Katie Higgins Cook when she took that spot.

http://katieanncook.com/

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Rick Courtright said:
I saw FiFi fly twice, and you'd never know T-bird #3 was being driven by a woman!
And if it had been a man he'd have been flying that thing :)

Hi,

Ah, now I understand why an old shooting buddy never got invited to join the team. He was a USAF pilot in Viet Nam. I once asked asked what plane was "his."

"I drove Phantoms."

Maybe if he'd learned to fly them, he could have tried out! ;)

Rick C

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
You must understand there are two position in a Phantom. Front seat/pilot/driver and rear seat/navigator/passenger. Front seat flies and fights. Rear seat rides and protects the airplane. In an air force phantom the front and rear can actually fly the plane so the front seat guy has a big ego, the rear seat guy can do whatever it takes. If either one screws up neither comes home.

Rick Courtright said:
Cholo said:
Rick Courtright said:
I saw FiFi fly twice, and you'd never know T-bird #3 was being driven by a woman!
And if it had been a man he'd have been flying that thing :)

Hi,

Ah, now I understand why an old shooting buddy never got invited to join the team. He was a USAF pilot in Viet Nam. I once asked asked what plane was "his."

"I drove Phantoms."

Maybe if he'd learned to fly them, he could have tried out! ;)

Rick C

SR=71 Pilot wrote the book "Sled Driver" Nuff said :D

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
chm270 said:
I am fortunate to be able to see the Lacrosse show (and practices) from my driveway.
There is one turn that one of them makes right in front of me and can't be more than 200' above the ground.

some where along 35 in Onalaska ???

bogus bill

Hunter
I seen Brian Shul at Lockheed. He wrote that book. I thought hi a nice low key guy. I seen a great video he made on his SR 71 days.

chm270

Single-Sixer
Hawk-in-Wi said:
chm270 said:

some where along 35 in Onalaska ???
Actually off of Sand Lake.

Latest posts