Blue 5" GP-100's in 357 and 44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
There is already a thread about the 5" Blue GP-100 in 7 shot 327 Federal from Lipsey's and there is mention of the 6 shot 357 and 5 shot 44 Special. I'd like to have all 3, but may have to wait. Anyway, Lipsey's has the 357 and 44Special in stock for immediate shipping. The 327 is still allocated. I have a 5" S&W M&P transitional made around 1947 and the 44 Special is calling out to me for a mate. Note all 3 of these are made with a half lug barrel, and the 44 is not the 5" model previously offered. Bob!! :mrgreen:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Despite the fact that I need another .357 revolver like I need a hole in my head, I "need" one of them. Real bad. When I first saw a picture of that 5" model with the half length shroud, I thought, "Wow. That's a GP100 that looks like a Security Six! That's got my name written all over it."

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well, I could not stand it any longer, I just ordered a 5" .44 Special GP-100 from Lipsey's and should have it by Tuesday. My salesman, Chris, told me he had one stuck back for himself for Santa to bring. I'm trading my 3" GP-100 .44 Special today for a Ruger Scout rifle one of my retired trooper friends can't use anymore because of his poor eyes. Bob!! :D

chopperdoc

Bearcat
I have the .44 special 5" blue GP100 and paid for and will pick up next week the 327 fed GP100. I had one of the stainless GP 100 in 327 but sold it like a schmuck.

Also have the 5" GP in 22lr too....

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well, I received my 44 5" blue half lug in Tuesday too late to shoot it and I got to go back to work on Wednesday. My first impressions are as follows: the Roper style grips are well done, very smooth, and almost seamlessly fit the gun. They are a little small for my big hands, but nicely done. The finish is a really dark blue, almost black, well executed. The double action is smooth with no glitches and the single action, while not light, will do. The rear sight is a white outline with a gold bead front dovetailed into the wide grooved barrel rib. While the front sight installation is not seamless, the gap under the sight is less visible than my previous 3" 44 GP-100. As near as I can tell, there are no dedicated holsters for a 5" GP-100 other than semi custom rigs. Of course, it will fit in a 6" holster for a GP-100 or a belt rig like the Bianchi black widow where the barrel is exposed anyway. I may get to shoot it this weekend, weather permitting. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Mus408

Hunter
Hmmm..... would be NICE to have a 5 inch blued DA in .44 Special in my small .44 collection but out of gun money for rest of year. Glad you didn't post a pic as that would have got me in trouble....again!

rangerbob

Buckeye
Thanks for the replies. I'll post a report as soon as I shoot the .44. BTW, in a previous post in this thread I mentioned that I was trading for a Scout rifle. I did and the next day swapped it for a NIB 327 Henry big boy rifle at my LGS. I needed a mate for my Single Seven, which I hate to admit, have not shot yet. Bob! 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I finally got around to shooting my 5" GP-100 44 Special. I ran 100 rounds of cast bullet reloads through it with no mechanical problems at all. I had to set the rear sight as low as it would go to get mostly a zero. I have large hands and the smooth wooden grips need to be larger to suit me. The Houge grips that come on the Match Champion may be the way to go. I'm not real keen on the gold bead front sight, I think a red ramp would be more to my liking, or even a black serrated ramp. I going to check with Ruger to see what's available, since it has the dovetail front sight instead of the quick change plunger and spring. I'm using a Safariland holster for a 5" N frame, a little loose, but I have not adjusted it yet. Bob!! More shooting if it ever gets above freezing! 8)

Mus408

Hunter
I'm liking a 4 inch in .44 so did Ruger make a run of these or you think they might?
Trying to stay conservative on any gun purchases for the year 2018...like do I really need another .44
when I have a nice 7.5 inch SBH along with a very sweet S&W 629-2 with 3 inch barrel and the carry all day CA Bull Dog 2.5 inch.

That gold bead front sight...do you get some glare off of it on a sunny day?

rangerbob

Buckeye
Mus408, I have not seen any 4" GP-100's in 44 special, just 3 and 5". A 4.2" 44 Match Champion would be out standing. I don't have a crystal ball to predict what Ruger might make, but by the number of new introductions here lately, there is no telling. Bob! :mrgreen: