Blazer Brass .45ACP primer pocket size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
I was reloading tonight and ended up with some Blazer .45ACP brass that I'd picked out of a bin at a public range.. I found I could not get my progressive loader to seat a primer in the brass. When I measured the primer pocket on the Blazer brass and found it was significantly smaller. What's up with this?

dg101win

Single-Sixer
protoolman":9gqli9vr said:
The blazer brass cases for .45 use a Small Pistol Primer instead of a Large Pistol Primer.

I just compared CCI Blazer Brass with FC(Federal)2003 Match and they are the same size.
However maybe they changed something since I purchased these 4-5 years ago.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Regular Blazer Brass cases use a large pistol primer for .45, but if you got some of their lead-free practice ammo, they use small pistol.

The only 45 cases I've ever heard of that use small pistol are the "clean" ammo.

badchris

Bearcat
Dg101win, I don't think they changed. I looked at a box over the weekend of 45 ACP Blazer Brass and they had LP in them. I think Slipping away has it right about the "clean" ammo using SP.

magnumtrail

Bearcat
I just experienced small pistol primer pockets in Speer .45acp brass. It was from purchased range ammo - I believe under the "Independence" label. It's the first I've seen of it.