Blackhawk won’t Cock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GDLT31

Bearcat
I have a Stainless Blackhawk in.45 Colt that I have had for years. Well all of a sudden when cocking the hammer the transfer bar comes up and hits the firing pin not allowing to fully pull the hammer back. I was wondering if someone has run into this and what was there remedy. I am pretty anal about keeping her clean. I haven't dropped or abused her. Now I use her for a side arm when I go hunting. So if anyone has any advice it would be great.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Push the basepin in all the way. If that doesn't fix it check to make sure the plunger is still in the tip of the basepin.

Johnnu2

Hunter
rkrcpa said:
Push the basepin in all the way. If that doesn't fix it check to make sure the plunger is still in the tip of the basepin.

+1 .... this happens to me all the time.... then I remember to push that cylinder pin in all the way so that it finally hits the back of the transfer bar.

J.

princeout

Blackhawk
Also, pull the base pin, spray the spring loaded tip with cleaner, work the pin a bit, spray again, dry then lightly oil the pin. Sometimes it gums up and doesn't push back on the transfer bar.

Tim

caryc

Hawkeye
Usually it's always the same problem. When trying to cock the hammer, the transfer bar is hitting the firing pin preventing it from cocking. That transfer bar is pushed back to prevent that by the little pin in the cylinder bass pin.

Sometimes that pin will get stuck back in the bass pin due to dirt or oils collected in it. Just make sure the spring in that bass pin is free and allows the little pin to move freely and that solves the problem.

Dan in MI

Staff member
The only other time I have seen this is a "poor man's trigger" job done REALLY poorly. If you use the trigger return spring to try and help your trigger pull and get it too light you get the same results.

454PB

Bearcat
The only other time I have seen this is a "poor man's trigger" job done REALLY poorly. If you use the trigger return spring to try and help your trigger pull and get it too light you get the same results.
That's exactly what happened to me.

felitoone

Bearcat
Hi. Greetings from PR. I adquired a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, brand new, same problem. The problem was the base pin. I will explain. It had way too much endplay, moving back and foward. Plus, the tip at the end, that is spring loaded, that actually pushes the transfer bar out of the way, looked kinda short. Also spring tension was weak. Add all that and the gun wont cock. The transfer bar will not clear the firing pin, thus not allowing to cock.
Solution. I got a replacement part, better than oem, at ebay:

Power Custom/Grandmaster® Base Pin Keith #5 Ruger Single Action 2.875" Blue (Q1-01).
LOok for this and find the stainlees version you need (Q1-02).
It solved the problem completly. Best part is it comes with an allen tool to lightly thighten the base pin in position, so no more endplay!
Hope this helps you. Kind regards.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts