Blackhawk vs Super Blackhawk Parts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Super Ruger Fan

Bearcat
Hello All, I'm new to the Ruger revolver world but have been really getting into them and purchased a used Super Blackhawk .44 mag from 1970. After taking it apart for a good cleaning I noticed the hammer teeth are a little chewed up and was wondering how this might have happen and would it affect the performance. Well I decided I would just like to replace it and found a couple of hammers on E-bay but they say "vintage old model Blackhawk" will this fit on my Super Blackhawk? Are any of the older Blackhawk parts interchangeable to the Super Blackhawk? Thank you in advance for your help.

G2

Hunter
The parts are interchangeable , but most would not install a Blackhawk hammer into a Super Blackhawk. Super Blackhawk has the wide and slightly lower thumb pad.
You say chipped up, this is usually from incorrect handling, fanning, dropped, ect. Here is a couple of pictures of a nice Old Model Super Hammer with good notches. You will also not that it sold for $129.
FYI
Super Blackhawk hammers go for 120-175

THIS HAMMER IS SOLD, reference only.
Very nice condition all the way around, $129 shipped, first "take it" posted, gets it. Payment: Cash, Check, USPS Money Order, DISCREET PayPal, Gold, Silver or IOU.
image.jpg4_3.jpg

image.jpg2_5.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A bit more info.
Your SBH is from 1970,,, and as such is an "Old Model." Any parts you get must be for an OM. The one shown above is an OM hammer.
Whatever you do, make sure your gun is safe. Worn parts can make it unsafe.
Do a test to see if the notches are too worn.
With an UNLOADED gun, cock the hammer. Then using moderate thumb pressure, try & push the hammer off it's cocked position without pulling the trigger. If it falls, you need to replace the hammer as the notches are too worn. Check all the mating surfaces the hammer fits into as well.

Super Ruger Fan

Bearcat
Ruger Guru, thanks for your input and tips good to know. I will try this and see what happens either way I think I will still replace it once I find one. Appreciate you responding.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Does your hammer still have the hook on the loading notch as shown above? A snapped of loading notch hook is the more common problem. Is that what you meant by the notches looking a "little chewed up"?

If and when you replace the hammer, be sure your trigger sear slips easily into both the safety and loading notches out of the gun or you can snap the hook right off of a new hammer.

Super Ruger Fan

Bearcat
Hawkeye, yes the 3 hooks are still in place, you can say the 3 hook edges are smashed down I guess more then chewed up. I will make sure I double check these things you mentioned when I change out the hammer. Really appreciate your input. Thank you.

Super Ruger Fan

Bearcat
Single-Sixer, yes I have been reading about this online I guess there are pro's and cons not sure if I want to do this but it's a good alternate free fix. Thanks for your thoughts.