Blackhawk shortage ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

57springer

Buckeye
I realize we are seeing unprecedented # of gun sales . There are basically no ruger blackhawks anywhere . I am looking for a new 41. mag . There are 6 used ones on broker .Not a single NIB. What do you all think , just none being produced ??? I have searched the net , they are not out there :cry:

JMHO, but I'd say they aren't the "hot setup" right now, as opposed to "black plastic tactical" 9mm-type stuff. So Ruger is most likely focusing on making as many of these as possible and putting "cowboy guns" -- particularly odd caliber ones -- off until things sort themselves out.

nawagner

Bearcat
It's not exactly a high demand caliber so I wouldn't expect them to be making a whole lot of them if they are low on stock. Have you checked with LGSs to see if they can find one? Why not pick up a used one?

57springer

Buckeye
Yeah I been calling all over . I realize its an odd cal. but it is all blackhawks . Also shortages of Single sixes , sp 101s . Loads of Wranglers and a few redhawks ......................... Grice gunshop is advertised as Pennsylvanias largest shop and it is one of my local shops . They do not have a single blackhawk in the store .

I don't think it's just Blackhawks. It's everything, from Vaqueros to 45Colt/45ACP 4.2" RedHawks, and even snub-nosed Super Redhawk Alaskan. Folks are cleaning out their safes and selling conditions as "new in the box" at prices 50% over MSRP. It's been a frenzy on GunBroker! I was watching a Ruger Vaquero in 45ACP that closed at over fifty bids! I was told that Ruger makes a run of a particular model and moves on to another model with the expectation that the stock at distributors will be adequate until the next run is scheduled. So if they make Blackhawks every three years, but distributors sell out all supplies the first year, then there won't be any new ones until the next run. I don't know what gets made or when or how frequently, but this is what a well-known popular (famous) gun smith worker (employee) told me. So, these are the times we enjoy what we have and this is why we load our own ammo and why we buy primers by the thousands and our favorite powder in the big jug. This is a great time to sell off those guns we may be on the fence about, but replacing them will cost a lot until we wait it out. Also, besides GunBroker, don't forget GunsAmerica and GunsInternational.

57springer

Buckeye
seasterl said:
I don't think it's just Blackhawks. It's everything, from Vaqueros to 45Colt/45ACP 4.2" RedHawks, and even snub-nosed Super Redhawk Alaskan. Folks are cleaning out their safes and selling conditions as "new in the box" at prices 50% over MSRP. It's been a frenzy on GunBroker! I was watching a Ruger Vaquero in 45ACP that closed at over fifty bids! I was told that Ruger makes a run of a particular model and moves on to another model with the expectation that the stock at distributors will be adequate until the next run is scheduled. So if they make Blackhawks every three years, but distributors sell out all supplies the first year, then there won't be any new ones until the next run. I don't know what gets made or when or how frequently, but this is what a well-known popular (famous) gun smith worker (employee) told me. So, these are the times we enjoy what we have and this is why we load our own ammo and why we buy primers by the thousands and our favorite powder in the big jug. This is a great time to sell off those guns we may be on the fence about, but replacing them will cost a lot until we wait it out. Also, besides GunBroker, don't forget GunsAmerica and GunsInternational.
Yeah ,I agree . I have blackhawks in other cals. to shoot , so I am not emptyhanded . You really can't comprehend the shortage until you are looking for a particular model . I will keep looking , Thanks ! :? :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,, Ruger manufacturing is run in an efficient manner. They set a mfg line to run,, say,, the Blackhawks in .45 Colt. They make a projected number of them based upon potential sales over a period of time. Then, they make that number,, and change over the mfg line to a different model or caliber etc.
The production is based upon orders by distributors & the demands by consumers.

Some models have dedicated lines,, & others,, are in a rotation.

You can't have a facility like Ruger & keep a mfg line dedicated for all the models they offer all the time.