Blackhawk shooting high help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

actionflies

Bearcat
I just got a new 4 5/8 blackhawk convertible and the gun is shooting high even with the elevation screw all the way in. Is it possible that they installed the wrong rear sight or will a different rear sight blade will make a difference? I will call Ruger on Monday.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Before running and jumping to Ruger eliminate other possibles. Try different ammo (bullet weights especially) and have another shooter try it. Always easy to jump and blame the gun and not look at the other variables.

diagnosistarget.jpg

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
actionflies":193e641k said:
I just got a new 4 5/8 blackhawk convertible and the gun is shooting high even with the elevation screw all the way in. Is it possible that they installed the wrong rear sight or will a different rear sight blade will make a difference? I will call Ruger on Monday.

I have the same gun and it does the same thing. Let us know what Ruger tells ya

Rodfac

Blackhawk
You might try filing a bit off the top of the rear sight blade..and it won't generally take much, to correct your problem. A touch of cold blue and your blued steel beauty is back in business. That said...

I've got one of the Lipsey's .44 Spls that needs a similar "adjustment", but snding it to Ruger could be a long wait. Remember, for 90% of us, if you use a lighter bullet, it will impact lower on the target than a heavier one.

For example: For me: at 25 yds sitting with a two hand hold, in a 4-5/8" Ruger Flat Top Anniversary .357, a 125 gr Remington JHP handload at 1200 fps chrono'd velocity, hits 2" lower than a 158 gr lead SWC at a chrono'd 1000 fps. Windage is approx. the same...if anything, the 158 hits 1" farther to the left at 25 yds than the 125's...we can argue the mechanics of why that is so, but the fact remains that for fixed sight guns, lighter bullets, in most cases, lower the point of impact, a possible solution for factory sight height errors.

Rodfac

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I am assuming it is a 45 Colt? Is it blued or stainless? If stainless it is easy to install a taller blade. If blued, not so easy.

Yeah lighter bullets will make it hit lower, but who wants to shoot light bullets in a 45?

sixshot

Buckeye
I build up the front sight with JB weld, then file it down to the correct height. Its easy to paint over it with a magic marker, etc. Better for me than sending them back to Ruger.

Dick

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
That's a good idea, Sixshot. Have you ever tried using JB Weld to attach a small piece of brass rod? Kinda like a gold bead. Wonder if it would stay on?

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
How about a "how to" on the JB Weld trick. Do you create some kind of form or mold or just build it up and then file down the top and sides?

And my 7.5 .44 SBH and my .45LC 4&5/8 BH both shoot high and left with the rear sight screwed down all the way.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
It's "barrel time." The longer the bullet stays in the barrel, as the gun rises in immediate recoil, the higher the gun will shoot.
So...heavier bullets at the same velocity shoot higher than lighter bullets, due to increased barrel rise during recoil, before the bullet has a chance to exit the muzzle.
Slower bullets shoot higher than faster bullets of equal weight for the same reason.
One way I was able to prove this to myself was varying the bullet weight and velocity for many, many load recipes with my 6-inch barreled custom .500 Linebaugh Bisley years ago when I could still see well at 25 yds. I had John narrow my front sight blade width to 0.095" which gave me more light on either side in my sight picture. A narrow front sight blade may not be such a good idea in the field, for rapid acquisition, but it surely helped me to shoot good targets.
I still have my load books containing the specific load menus, velocities, group size, perceived recoil and point of impact relative to my aiming point.
With a big gun like that (large changes in recoil), it was/is easy to predict and see as much as six inches in elevation change when all I did was incrementally change the load velocity from 850 fps up to 1400 fps, or the bullet weight from 350 grains to 465 grains.
This was all bench-rested and documented, and many of my three to five-round groups measured from 0.6" to 0.75". No doubt in my mind at all.
It's only fair to say that not everyone, including some guys I respect a lot, agree with me on this. Of course, they weren't there, and I can still prove it.
Sonnytoo

ADP3

Single-Sixer
What bullet weight are you using and what range are you shooting at? If your bullets are heavier than 250/255 grains your Ruger is going to print higher than with lighter bullets. If you are shooting at ranges other than 25 yds. your point of impact will vary also.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Latest posts