Blackhawk Re-finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

claydoctor

Bearcat
Just picked up a 1971 vintage OM Blackhawk. Ruger says they will re-finish for $130. Has anyone had experience with their work on re-finishing? I am certainly not going to send if what another poster says is true, that they will convert it to NM without my permission.

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I have nto had ruger efinish a gun for me but any old model that goes back to factory will be conerte whether you want it to be or not. STeve

J Miller

Blackhawk
The thing about the conversion is that you can take your original action parts out and keep them with you. Then reinstall them when you get the gun back.

But yes Ruger does the conversion on Old Models before any other work is done. And the conversion action is a second rate throw together job at best.

Joe

claydoctor

Bearcat
I would hope this is never done without the ownere being advised of it prior to any work. Otherwise, what legal right would they have to alter a gun that doesn't belong to them? I'd be looking to sue them for decreasing the collector value of my gun.

As best I know, when you send a gun in for ANY work they insist you sign an agreement to allow the "safety conversion" or they won't work on your gun for any reason.

Your choice.

claydoctor

Bearcat
The next question is...who else is good at refinishing a Ruger Blackhawk,. I was going to send to Turnbull but they want to swap out the grip and ejector rod housing for steel which is going to add about $200 or more to the job. I want someone who will do whatever needs to be done to the aluminum parts (re-anodizing) to make like new.

Enigma

Hunter
claydoctor":237sp5nz said:
The next question is...who else is good at refinishing a Ruger Blackhawk,. I was going to send to Turnbull but they want to swap out the grip and ejector rod housing for steel which is going to add about $200 or more to the job. I want someone who will do whatever needs to be done to the aluminum parts (re-anodizing) to make like new.

Most small shops do not have the capability to reanodize aluminum parts. They will have to send them out for powder coating, or some other finish. Many places will also applu Gun Kote or Dura Coat, which are essentially epoxy-based paints.

If you have an airbrush or automotive detail spray gun, you can easily apply these (GK or DC) finishes to the aluminum parts yourself.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger does NOT refinish the aluminum parts. They usually replace them.

As stated, simply remove the Lockwork from your Old Model prior to shipping. Heck, I remove everything attached by removable fasteners and, usually, due to my "sense of humor" replace the lockwork with whatever conversion kit parts I have handy. :)

I've had serious trouble with Ruger and steel ejector housings and will NEVER again return an Old Model for work with it's original steel ejector housing.

JMHO,

flatgate

Gunsmith Alan Harton does actual anodizing of Ruger grip frames. The last time I inquired about it, he charged $60 per grip frame, plus shipping.

[email protected]

I have not had any work done by Mr. Harton, but the pictures I have seen indicate he does superb work.

:D

claydoctor

Bearcat
flatgate":5sf1smva said:
Ruger does NOT refinish the aluminum parts. They usually replace them.

As stated, simply remove the Lockwork from your Old Model prior to shipping. Heck, I remove everything attached by removable fasteners and, usually, due to my "sense of humor" replace the lockwork with whatever conversion kit parts I have handy. :)

I've had serious trouble with Ruger and steel ejector housings and will NEVER again return an Old Model for work with it's original steel ejector housing.

JMHO,

flatgate

I thought the old models had aluminum ejector rod housings, not steel.

Latest posts