Blackhawk question - shooting .38 spcl in my .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tss106

Single-Sixer
Was out shooting my New Model stainless .357 Blackhawk today. All I has was some Winchester .38 Spcl rounds, the cheap white box version. Every time I loaded it up, after 3-4 shots, I couldn't pull back the hammer to rotate the cylinder. Looked like the fired case heads were rubbing on the frame, just enough to cause binding - preventing the cylinder from rotating. Is this maybe due to the ammo or do I have some sort of problem that needs fixing?

Enigma

Hunter
First, I would thoroughly clean and lube the gun, to include complete disassembly. There may be some leftover residue from manufacture in the receiver that is causing this. If it still exhibits the same problem after cleaning/lube/reassembly, then it needs to go back to Ruger. Call them and ask nicely for a return label, and ship it on their dime.

tss106

Single-Sixer
I already did a thorough cleaning. When it was fully loaded but unfired, I could open the gate and the cylinder turned very easily/smoothly. As soon as I fired a couple and opened the gate, there was friction from the fired case heads rubbing on the frame. Reckon I'll give Ruger a call Monday 'morn.

nn

Single-Sixer
Just crud in the chambers and the ammo having a hard time pushing back into the cylinders as it runs up the ramp on the recoil shield. Clean it good and try again.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Sometimes the primers will move back and bind the cylinder on weak rounds. If you shoot 357mag rounds then the primers get pushed back into the cases. Be sure the crud ring is scrubbed out of the cylinder holes and try some different ammo. Sometimes case heads are not spec and they bind-up. Also check the barrel cylinder gap, crud builds up there too. :D

...Jimbo

tss106

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I'll give it another really good cleaning (especially the cylinders) and give it another go...., this time I'll try some .357 mag ammo and maybe a different brand of .38 spcl. Thanks again and I'll let y'all know how it works out.

jpickar

Blackhawk
Definatey try a different brand of ammo. When I have used factory ammo I sometimes get that problem. And I have found it to be under powered ammo. (lawyer safe) Low load pressures can cause the primer to back out just a little to rub against the recoil shield. I have used the same brass and reload them to mid range 38 special loads and never have that problem.

John