Blackhawk or S&W 686

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
VAdoublegunner":35zkzxcx said:
I shoot some monster 180gr .357 Mag handloads in my Blackhawk. While my 686 (or 586 or 681) will handle them, I wouldn't want to shoot a whole lot of them in the L-frame.

It's not that I think the L-frame is weak in that regard. It's just that monster level loads are likely to wear on it sooner. The substantial cylinder mass, frame, bearing surfaces and lockwork of the BH seem better able to withstand continued use of heavy loads. Plus there is that single action ruggedness.

For standard level .357 Mag loads, the L-frame will handle all you want to shoot for as long as you want to shoot it. It was designed to overcome the weakness of the K-frame .357s. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use anything in my Model 27 N-frame that I would use in a Ruger BH. The N-frame is a very robust revolver. Early .357 Mag loads that were developed for use in the N-frames make todays hot loads look like plinkers.

And for $300 for a stainless BH, it's a no brainer (although I did get a really great condition S&W 681 last year for $250 -- yep, that was a no brainer too!)
Like I said in my earlier post, the BH can handle mega loads of ammo where the 586/686 can't. Nothing wrong with the 686 I have one too and like the revolver. I also agree on the model 27. I have a model 28 and it can handle any 357 round you want and can shoot lots of them. So can the GP100. But for shear strength the BH is the revolver.
Summary: Home defense: 686. Backpacking, woods and hunting the BH is the winner.

roaddog28

greener

Single-Sixer
Kanook":qoq73k8w said:
If it's gonna be used as self defense, go with a double action. Long story short, I had a single six stolen and when I finally tracted down where it was the jerk that had it sold it for $50 because it was broke. He didn't know about single action.

If the firearm is going to do a lot of sitting, go with something simple.

Hadn't thought about folks not knowing about SA's. Might be a great safety device. :lol:

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I own a 686 plus, the seven shot model and it's a great revolver but I would have to assume that the Blackhawk is stronger, the 686 is strong but I don't think you'd call it over engineered.

So IMO the answer to your question is "the Blackhawk"

With 7 rounds the 686 is a good SD carry piece, very accurate as well and handles fairly hot 158 gr loads well, so if you were asking which one I'd rather own, the answer would probably be different, but that comes down to 'horses for courses' depending on the reasons for needing/wanting a 357 mag, neither is necessarily better.