Blackhawk & Hogue grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yooper1

Single-Sixer
Well, the UPS package showed up with the Blackhawk that my customer wanted.

He also chose the hogue monogrip. he said he did not like the smallish stock grip.

see the hogue grip here:
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/revolvers.html

(I know...I know.......he should get better grips or oversized grips)

But, when I went to install them on the gun I see they will not work.

The hogue instructions show there being the "somewhat" normal large hole in the frame under the grips. The new Blackhawk that I received has no actual hole. There is a couple spaces that go thru, but no hole to mount the little "stirrup" that hogue supplies.

Is this new Blackhawk something different than most? Did I get an oddball?

Or is the Houge monogrip....just a generic grip that may or may not work as they say?

Here is the instruction sheet from hogue showing the hole area:

hogue002A.jpg

hogue002z.jpg

and here is the actual gun with the grips off...no hole

blkhwk1.jpg

darn!

I hate when this happens!!!

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
The more knowledgeable here will have to comment on what grip frame you have, it is different than mine.

My NM BH had a Hogue on it when I bought it used several years ago. For various reasons never shot it much until recently. I have a fairly large hand but don't like the Hogue. OK for one or two shots but if you shoot very much, especially heavy loads it will chew on your hand. I'm going to go back to traditional style stocks. Just need to find a set.

Kevin

yooper1

Single-Sixer
Figures that I would get the difficult task. :?

Oh well....at least he will get his gun.....and he will have to hunt for his own grips.

That is what I get for trying to be a nice guy and get them for him!

Dale53

Blackhawk
Here's the problem. The Hogue grips (assuming they are for a "Black Hawk" will NOT fit the new Ruger "lock grip". The grip frames are different.

I have a new .44 Ruger 50th Anniversary Flattop .44 magnum AND a new Ruger .44 Lipsey Special. They both have lock grip frames (as is now the "New Standard"). No one, yet makes rubber grips for them (neither Pachmayr nor Hogue).

Both of them, with standard, issued grips, beat my shooting hand knuckle to pieces. Absolutely unusable unless I tuck my little finger under the butt (a pitiful way to have to hold a revolver in my considered opinion).

However, due to the kindness of a regular here ("What Cheer") I learned that the Pachmayr rubber grips for a Colt SAA will fit pretty dern well (after you remove the cross pin). They have a filler behind the trigger guard and cover the back strap of the grip frame. I have rather large hands and they TOTALLY solve the discomfort of shooting these fine handguns for me.

The "fly in the ointment" is that the grips are no longer offered by Pachmayr. However, they are "out there" and some serious searching should put a pair in your hands (with a bit of luck).

If you manage to find a pair, be very careful when installing them - they are one piece grips and you have to CAREFULLY slip them over the grip frame from the rear to avoid tearing them apart. If you tear them apart, then the grips are useless (the problem in fit is the grip frame is a bit wider than the original Colt grip frame these grips are made for).

At any rate, I am happy as a "Pig in slop" with my Pachmayr grips.

Dale53

yooper1

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that info Dale

I have convinced the buyer to just take the gun and leave it at that.

Anyone want a good deal on a Hogue Monogrip for Blackhawk & Single Six Part # 83000

deanodog

Bearcat
I did the same thing and I also have a new hogue grip for blackhawk and single six for sale 15.00 shipped. I emailed Hogue and they plan to make the grips for the new frame but not in the near future. I was disappointed in the 50th anniv. I guess I should have done some research before I bought it. That is a disadvantage of buying online of an unseen product.

rhatimi

Bearcat
the reason there is no hole is because of that darned safety locking device, :evil:
besides that your instructions are specifically for the gp-100, redhawk, and security six. hope this helps.

yooper1

Single-Sixer
rhatimi":2s2n2gyv said:
the reason there is no hole is because of that darned safety locking device, :evil:
besides that your instructions are specifically for the gp-100, redhawk, and security six. hope this helps.

actually, the illustration / instruction #6 says (the 2nd photo) RUGER BLACKHAWK shown

Package for the grips says

Ruger BLACKHAWK, SINGLE SIX and VAQUERO

thank you