Blackhawk hammer plunger issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CaliMtn8

Bearcat
I have converted a NM Blackhawk from 30 carb to 45 Colt. When I reassembled it I bent the hammer plunger. I replaced that and reassembled it and the hammer will cock hard the first time then easily but the hammer only falls until it hits the cylinder bolt when I pull the trigger. It falls the rest of the way if I open the loading gate to get the back of the cylinder bolt out of the way. I've replaced the hammer plunger twice now with the same results. All of this is without the cylinder installed but with the cylinder pin closed/ in place in order to make the transfer bar function. Am I installing something incorrectly or do I need to fit the plunger? I'm almost sure I'm missing something simple but my brain is fried.

CaliMtn8

Bearcat
Sounds like the little plunger in the hammer is bound up or to long
Agreed, but I've replaced it twice with stock parts and they've all ended up bent. Nothing I've read anywhere says anything about fitting the plunger... if anything they've talked about making your own longer. I'm stumped. Maybe I'm misaligning the bolt catch? Putting things in in the wrong order? ( I don't think so but not sure)

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
Often,, the hammer plunger HOLE gets gummed up or rough etc. Before you try it again,, make sure the hammer plunger moves smoothly in & out of the hole. The movement there isn't a long travel distance, but it's required for proper function. Polishing the hole prior to putting in the spring & plunger might help.

G2

Hunter
Are you sure there is only one spring in the hole? part of a spring? the hole is good and clean?

CaliMtn8

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum.
Often,, the hammer plunger HOLE gets gummed up or rough etc. Before you try it again,, make sure the hammer plunger moves smoothly in & out of the hole. The movement there isn't a long travel distance, but it's required for proper function. Polishing the hole prior to putting in the spring & plunger might help.
Copy I'll work that area well before I put the new one in when it's delivered. The other times I've assembled it I've checked to make sure it moves and I've put Winchester oil in it but I haven't polished it. I cleaned all parts before the first assembly.

Last edited:

CaliMtn8

Bearcat
Are you sure there is only one spring in the hole? part of a spring? the hole is good and clean?
I'm not sure. I'll look again when the new parts come and I disassemble it again. Does anyone know what the proper depth of the hole is?

G2

Hunter
A. Because you have messed with the hammer plunger, spring and retaining pin, assemble those first and check operation, notice the the plunger side cut, you need about or most of the distance in movement.

1. Cylinder Bolt and plunger and spring are good? Install the three parts and screw the grip frame on. To check operation just push on the bolt and make sure it operating, clearing the window and coming back up, check by applying pressure with a small screw driver.
pulling the hammer back does it pull the bolt below or level to the window and snaps back When the plunger slips off the back of the bolt.
Sometimes when it cocks once but not again the bolt plunger & bolt are miss aligned.

2. Now add the hammer to to mix. No trigger yet, does the hammer and bolt operate correctly?

3. Now add the hammer spring & strut assembly, still working….

4. Add the the trigger….

5. Add the gate and spring. this is another part that can bind up, so watch for it.

6. Add the transfer bar No cylinder pin just keep the barrel pointed up.

7. Now the Cylinder pin.

8. pawl, plunger & spring.

9. Now the Cylinder.

it's a lot of on and off but you will see what's giving you fits. you don't need to use all 5 grip frame screws, in fact just use the front screw, (always first) short bottom screw and opposite back screw. No need to tighten with any tourque until final assembly. in fact I always leave the hammer retaining screw last, To make sure I get the hammer pin in correct with the screw.
FWIW: I always use the the 3 shortest screws in this process.

if you try and do all this at one sitting when frustrated, it can be overwhelming, take you time and enjoy the process of figuring out what the hang up is.

CaliMtn8

Bearcat
A. Because you have messed with the hammer plunger, spring and retaining pin, assemble those first and check operation, notice the the plunger side cut, you need about or most of the distance in movement.

1. Cylinder Bolt and plunger and spring are good? Install the three parts and screw the grip frame on. To check operation just push on the bolt and make sure it operating, clearing the window and coming back up, check by applying pressure with a small screw driver.
pulling the hammer back does it pull the bolt below or level to the window and snaps back When the plunger slips off the back of the bolt.
Sometimes when it cocks once but not again the bolt plunger & bolt are miss aligned.

2. Now add the hammer to to mix. No trigger yet, does the hammer and bolt operate correctly?

3. Now add the hammer spring & strut assembly, still working….

4. Add the the trigger….

5. Add the gate and spring. this is another part that can bind up, so watch for it.

6. Add the transfer bar No cylinder pin just keep the barrel pointed up.

7. Now the Cylinder pin.

8. pawl, plunger & spring.

9. Now the Cylinder.

it's a lot of on and off but you will see what's giving you fits. you don't need to use all 5 grip frame screws, in fact just use the front screw, (always first) short bottom screw and opposite back screw. No need to tighten with any tourque until final assembly. in fact I always leave the hammer retaining screw last, To make sure I get the hammer pin in correct with the screw.
FWIW: I always use the the 3 shortest screws in this process.

if you try and do all this at one sitting when frustrated, it can be overwhelming, take you time and enjoy the process of figuring out what the hang up is.
Thank you. When my 3 new plungers arrive ( ordered last night) I'll use this process and let you all know how it goes. In the mean time, I'll watch the AGI video again. Thank you all