Blackhawk Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3 Screw

Bearcat
Which is the rarest , the black eagle grips or the silver eagle grips. I recently bought a Super Blackhawk 3 screw that has the silver eagles.
Thanks

caryc

Hawkeye
The black eagles were the first ones Ruger used starting in 1953. They switched to silver eagles about 1966 to the current date.

Ruger started using the old style black eagles again in 2005 when they reintroduced the new model flat tops.

flatgate

Hawkeye
CLC,
The "Squashed Chicken" polished silver eagles appear in the early '70's and only lasted a short time before the "New Model" style was introduced.

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
Yeah,, the squashed chickens are rarer as well,,! I could use a few super sets with the squashed chickens myself,,, in excellent shape,,, to help dress up a few guns,,,! Still they seem more plentiful than the neck feathered ones.

3 Screw

Bearcat
What do the squashed chickens look like, can anyone post a picture.
You can tell that i don't know a lot about the Rugers but I'm trying to learn . I want to join the RCA. Thanks

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Here are two sets of black eagles.
The top gun is my 1958 vintage Flat Top with original grips. The bottom set is from my 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flat Top. Note the subtle differences in the eages themselves. The old eagle is more lanky and the head is slightly different.
Picture1013.jpg

grips.jpg

around here, for BH /Single Six, in the $45 to 65 range and for the Supers another $10 tops......condition IS everything...and must have the black hardware and a screw to boot.............

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Unfortunately for ruger collectors, the grips have not reached the prices that the Smith & Wesson grips have gotten to (except for some ultra rare grips). Some of the Smith grips prices even for 60's and 70's stuff has reached proportions that no one expected.

Latest posts