Blackhawk grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BDL

Bearcat
I need help. Posting this in both Ruger Forums hoping it will get to the right person. I got a new Blackhawk last spring that had plastic grips I did not like. After looking on line I found a pair I thought looked great. But in reading the two forums it appears there is confusion as to what fits what grips. So I contacted the grip maker, worked out the details and sent him the grips in early June. I have not heard a word since. Phone calls are not answered, left messages are not returned, emails go unanswered. My question is how long does it take for grips to be carved and fitted? I don't want to wait for a year only to find out then he never got the pistol grip. I am a patient person, I think waiting 3+ months shows that. But I am curious as to whether he is sick, out of business, dead, backed up or it just takes a long damn time to fit the grips. I know he is a poster on these boards so I won't use his name. I don't want to ruin his reputation if there is a mix up such as him not getting my pistol grip. If it was never received then I need to know in order to proceed to file a claim with the Post Office. Right now all I have is a brand new barrel and cylinder. Is it normal to have a delay such as this.
Thanks for any input.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Any grip maker that does it for the public should not take anywhere near that long. I think there is something wrong here. Did you send him your grip frame?

You know his name and his log in name on the forums. I would check his user statistics and see when he last posted. Maybe he is sick or died.
Hope everything works out for you.
If all else fails, the grip frame can be replaced and start all over again. Bummer!!

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
I would track with the USPS to see if it was delivered but you will need your tracking number. If you have his phone number and address correctly then you know where he is. Yes he may be sick or some other situation. My thoughts are there is something wrong with the grip maker or he is a shyster. If he is a reputable person then he would have returned your calls and emails to let you know the the timeframe unless something is wrong that prevented him from doing so. I would post his name and ask if anyone has had any recent contact with the individual and express your concern. If something happened with him possibly he has forum friends that can connect you with family to get your frame back. He shouldn't get mad about that if nothing is wrong. If he is a shyster then I would post his name so those that don't make their own grips and have custom grips made will know. I would be able to prove my accusations if I went that route. I would also explore my criminal action avenues against him if he is a shyster.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

COR

Blackhawk
I've dealt with most of the grip makers on here and I can assure you I never saw anything even resembling this type of situation...the one that took the longest was the first set but they were custom fitted by someone just down the river from me...those took 6 months.

Patience is the rule with these types of things but you should be able to make contact with anyone who deals with he public.

Post the name, no one is gonna judge by this scenario, for all we know he is sick or otherwise, your concern is justified IMHO.

BDL

Bearcat
Heard from my grip maker this afternoon and he is in serious trouble health-wise. Put my grip back in mail. Said he had been holding it hoping to get to feeling better but figures its time to step aside and retire. Hate to hear it as he has posted some beautiful work. However, now I need another grip maker. Any suggestions for a skilled person making wood grips for a Blackhawk?

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Poco Oso said:
You're confirming, that an un-named grip maker, is no longer making grips? ( or stocks, as some prefer) :?

I was wondering who it is also...

A name might save people from bothering someone in a time of strife in their life...

BearBio

Buckeye
He doesn't do wood but for horn (elkhorn or moosehorn), try Executuioner (Patrick Grashorn --quick turnaround, fair prices (lower than most) and he'll do them with as much "bark" as you like.

New Model Flattop with elkhorn:

Bighorn sheep's horn (Those have a waiting list!)

For wood, go with Hogues.

Steve55

Bearcat
BearBio said:
He doesn't do wood but for horn (elkhorn or moosehorn), try Executuioner (Patrick Grashorn --quick turnaround, fair prices (lower than most) and he'll do them with as much "bark" as you like.

New Model Flattop with elkhorn:

Bighorn sheep's horn (Those have a waiting list!)

Got a link?

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
OK . . . it's CaryC, and yes, he'd appreciate a little privacy right now.

Thanks for your consideration.

:(

If I was a praying man, I'd send some his way...

Thanks for the head's-up...

He indeed does some beautiful work...

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Oh man, I didn't know Cary was in poor health. I've communicated with Cary on several occasions over the years and have found him to be a honest man and good to his word. I'm going to put in a kind word with the Man tonight to see if he can help out.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I have never had contact with Cary, but I have often admired his work when he has posted it on this forum.
Best wishes Cary.

Latest posts